The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Default Sold my Larrivee OM-03R--a neat story

I had put my OM-03R in the AGF Classifieds, needing to sell it to help finance my custom Covey that should be arriving within a couple of weeks or so. I didn't really want to sell the Larrivee, but I needed the funds so either it or my Eastman OM (AC710S) had to be sold. Because of its name and reputation, I decided I could sell the Larrivee with less difficulty and get more than I could out of the Eastman.

The Larrivee languished in the Classifieds for several days until out of the blue a photographer from Pennsylvania called my church office. He said he had an old friend in NYC, a Bohemian-sort of fellow who never grew out of it (about 60 years old), who had his guitar stolen about a year ago. The poor guy scraped together some funds to buy a $100 guitar to get by, but it now needed a neck reset.

So, the photographer had been searching online for a nice used guitar for his friend and stumbled upon mine. You have to understand that I have more than my share of cynicism and was concerned that I was about to get taken.

I emailed Larry Jacobson about the situation, and Larry gave me some great advice, as usual--basically to wait until PayPal had transferred the funds into my bank account before shipping the guitar.

The buyer agreed with that, payed via PayPal, and I transferred the money to my bank account. It took a day or so for the process to be completed. I boxed the Larrivee up, following instructions I had found on AGF threads and at frets.com, and shipped it via USPS Priority Mail on Wednesday.

Fast forward two days. The buyer emailed me an hour ago that he had received the guitar, it is beautiful and in great shape, and the two chords he knows sounds great on it. He is planning to drive up to NYC on Wednesday to surprise his friend with it.

Bill
Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Great story and congrats on the sale.

I can't tell you HOW CLOSE I came to buying your guitar; been very interested in owning a Larrivee. Played some at Sam Ash locally and started leaning toward an L instead of an OM. I really wavered over your OM.

Now I feel great about not buying it!

cheers, jay
Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
*mahoganut*

Default nice one, Bill!

"It's the simple things."

Thanks for sharing this!

Phil
Old 05-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

Very nice.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

That IS a good story!

Thanks, Glenn
Old 05-08-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I had put my OM-03R in the AGF Classifieds, needing to sell it to help finance my custom Covey that should be arriving within a couple of weeks or so...
Wow, that's a fairly quick turnaroundtime for a custom build. You must've been pretty fortunate to get on a quick queue. You must share pics soon.

Good story, as everyone else said.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:09 PM

I like to hear stories like that! It's going to a great home from what I see!
Somebody's friend is going to be VERY happy.
I would have been the buyer if I still had 40 hours work a week... been wanting another OM-03 ever since I stupidly sold mine.
Oh well, at least I have my parlor.

Things will get better!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Great story...a real win-win! Congrats.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 PM

That's a great story. Sorry you had to give up your OM-03R though. I hope the custom build more than fills the void.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Wow, that's a fairly quick turnaroundtime for a custom build. You must've been pretty fortunate to get on a quick queue. You must share pics soon.
No question about it. I caught Nehemiah at the right moment (he has four guitars going right now), and the build he's doing for me is another neat story. While I wait on my OM, I occasionally go over to Bill Pillmore's site and look at and listen to the parlor Nehemiah built for Bill.

As for my now-departed Larrivee, I had a tinge of "seller's remorse," but knowing about the deed being done for the fella in NYC, I'm happy it's going for a good cause. There may be another Larrivee in my future. I wouldn't bet against it!

Bill

Last edited by Broadus; 05-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 PM

Wow, thats really awesome! I hope that man is the happiest man on earth the day he gets that Larrivee!

That story makes me think about last week when I went to my monthly meeting of Guitar League(a local guitar enthusiast club) and there was a bunch of old nylons sitting out with price tags that read 10$. Needless to say I picked out the best one and it was awesome! It was an old school's guitar that they got rid of but it played like a dream and sounded good too. For 10$ I was soo happy with my purchase!!!! And I hope the man who is getting the Larrivee feels the same way I did!

Guitars(in the order the were purchased):
-2008 Alvarez PJ85SCDVS(installed with a Pezio UST and a mini condenser mic. Duel systems are awesome!)
-2000 Washburn OE-30: Orange
-1977 Yamaha G-65-1: Natural
-1967 Stella H-912: Maroon Sunburst
-2002 Stagg C510: Natural
-1996 Epiphone DR-100: Sunburst

My YouTube Videos

My MySpace
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Update

I received an email from the buyer of my Larrivee:
well i gave my friend the guitar on wednesday and he was really blown away. he really raved about its tone and was smiling from ear to ear as he played it and when i saw him the next day he told me that he stayed up late playing it and it plays so beautifully and its the nicest guitar he's ever had and he thanked me many times.
I don't miss the OM-03R as much as I did.

With all the scammers "out there," it's wonderful to know there are some kind-hearted souls.

Blessings,
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion