The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 PM

Default Buying a Guitar in Madrid or Barcelona

My wife and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary in Spain next week. We will spend five nights in Madrid and five in Barcelona.

I know that early modern guitars are based on the "Spanish models" and there is a long history of luthiery in Spain. I mentioned to my wife that I need to build in time to visit some guitar shops. She responded in turn that maybe if I find one that I like it could be my anniversary present.

Boy do I love my wife.

So fellow guitarists, any suggestions for shops to visit, or makes or models? I'd like to keep it around $1K.

I am primarily a steel string player, but would not be adverse to checking out classical models, or a flamenco guitar. Of course at this point I don't even know how flamenco models differ from traditional classical guitars.

Also we'd like to take in some live music, guitar and otherwise. We would love some suggestions for that as well.

Thank you, good people of AGF!
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 PM

You're going to run into very similar dichotomies with Spanish guitars as you do with steel string guitars because the demands of the styles of music are so different. Madrid is the center of the Spanish "classical" tradition (think Segovia), so that's what the luthiers in that city give their chief attention to. That means mahogany or rosewood back and sides, lots of color and complexity to the tone. They also make excellent flamenco guitars, but they're more of a sideline. Barcelona has a greater flamenco presence. The guitars from there more frequently have maple back and sides, so they provide more volume and attack.
These are of course very broad generalizations. Madrid luthiers make excellent flamenco guitars and Barcelona luthiers make excellent classical guitars, but each city has a slightly different emphasis. It's a flavor in the air.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 AM

Default Buying a Guitar in Madrid or Barcelona

I own an Alhambra guitar which I purchased in Spain. It is a fine instrument.

http://www.alhambrasl.com/en/
Old 09-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Thanks for your responses, guys.

Anyone else?
Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Barcelona is about the least flamenco place in all of Spain.

If you can't get to Cordoba, Seville, or Granada, go to Conde Hermanos in Madrid. Other Madrid possibilities include Jose Ramirez in Calle de la Paz and Guitarras de Luthier (yes, that's Spanish for "Luthier Guitars" ) in Calle Doctor Mata.

Note that professional quality flamenco guitars are pricey and pro quality classical guitars are very pricey.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM

I was in Seville, Granada and Barcelona a few months ago and didn't see one guitar shop -- must be somewhere outside the main areas.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:47 PM

My wife and I were just in Barcelona and San Sebastián visiting friends a few weeks ago. Loved both places and have been "going on and on" about them since we got home. I saw no guitar shops (though they must be there). Did, however, see some great guitar playing in Barcelona. Nice venue is the Basilica Santa Maria del Pi. We saw Manuel Gonzales and others. Just incredible. The church is, of course, just beautiful. Videos exist on YouTube if you are interested. Hope you have some luck finding shops and luthiers. We are going back to see our friends again next year. Have a great time.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:15 PM

I have family in Spain - just got back from a month in Asturias - mostly Oviedo to Gijon.
Last year I was 6 weeks and again another two in Barcelona proper and down about as far as Sitges.

Quite a few guitar shops in all the areas especially Barcelona proper. Don't expect a great selection of steel string and those there are usually the 300 - 1000 euro variety.
There were a couple higher end shops that also carried electrics.

Madrid may be your best best for some quality, locally made guitars -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion