The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 03:51 AM

Default Tell me more about the Martin 0-15

I had the pleasure of taking for a roadtest a 1954 Martin 0-15 today.

Absolutely loved it and was my fave sounding Martin in the shop I visited today while in Australia.

Ive always been a fan of the 15 series due to their balance and midrange qualities, always thought they were someting between a Martin and Gibson tone, but definitely more Martin.

I did own a modern 00-15 and really like the tone, but sold it as the 1 11/16 nut and low profile neck just didnt work well for me.

However this 0-15 had clearly 1 3/4 nut and a chunky but not overwhelming neck profile, it felt perfect in my hand.

The tone was also superb. I do love the older Martins as I find they are so much more balanced and highly responsive than new Martins, with a sweet, played in tone.

Being in Australia right now it was of course massively overpriced (AUD$5,000 asking price) but it did make me think more as I do miss the 00-15. This would be a great replacement.

For those who own one of these lovelly 0-15's, how do you find it, whats its strenghts and weaknesses, how do you compare it to the 00, OM varieties ?

Also, what is the more realistic market price in the US for a 50's 0-15 ? Quick look at Gbase it seems US$3,000 seems to be the going price.

thanks in advance.
Gibby
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 12-29-2015, 05:05 AM

I don't know if this helps at all...since I've never personality heard a 1950s 0-15m

However I know a few folks who owns this raves about it - and it might be a better price point?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoust...15012809585658
Old 12-29-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianGuy View Post
I don't know if this helps at all...since I've never personality heard a 1950s 0-15m

However I know a few folks who owns this raves about it - and it might be a better price point?

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoust...15012809585658
Thanks, however I would definitely try to aim for a vintage specimen. Perhaps look at replacing my LG-2 as I dont play it as much as I thought I would, the massive neck make playability somewhat less than optimum.
What we do on weekends:
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Guest 1928

It's important to understand the distinction between Style 15 and 15 Series. Before 1976 when the HD-28 was introduced, all Martins shared the same basic build. There was no such thing as a "Series", which didn't come along until the 1990's. Before 1976 all Martins shared the same construction, but were separated into different "Styles" which were defined by tone wood and ornamentation. Structurally they were the same. That is not the case with the modern Martin Series.

The current 15 Series Martins are all mahogany guitars with A-Frame bracing. They initially had an M/T neck, but that switched to the Simple Dovetail in 2012. They are also all long scale regardless of body size. Again, different from traditional Martins.

The '54 you played would have been built like any other 1954 Martin, straight braces and 1 3/8" bridge plate, but in mahogany with very few frills. However, they were just as nicely built as a D-28 (their most expensive guitar at the time) in terms of workmanship. While the neck may have felt wider, it was not. Fuller necks tend to feel wider than they measure. A 1950's 0-15 had a 1 11/16" neck and 2 1/8" bridge spacing, again typical of 14 fret guitars of the period. It would be short scale too.

IMO 1950-1964 Martins are currently the best value in vintage Martins - old factory construction at postwar prices. I think $3,000 is an extremely high price for anything but a mint condition example. I'd expect to more like $1,500-2,000 for one in average condition, maybe up to $2,500 for a cleaner one that did not need a neck reset or frets. (Those prices are what I would expect here in the US. I don't follow values elsewhere, so my estimations my not be all that helpful.)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 AM

Talking 0-15 beauty

"For those who own one of these lovelly 0-15's, how do you find it, whats its strenghts and weaknesses"

Gibby............I am enthralled with my custom 0-15. The playability and comfort are superb(1.75 nut, 2.25 spacing, 24.9 scale,LMO neck). I don't strum with picks, but my fingers hammer out a good volume that's clear and loud(surprising how loud this little Martin can be). It also records very well with monels. Not much to say negatively....although they do cost more than a standard series 00 or 000 15. Best, JD
Old 12-29-2015, 04:04 PM

So that '54 really had 1 11/16 nut width ? It really, really felt much wider and chunkier, wow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
It's important to understand the distinction between Style 15 and 15 Series. Before 1976 when the HD-28 was introduced, all Martins shared the same basic build. There was no such thing as a "Series", which didn't come along until the 1990's. Before 1976 all Martins shared the same construction, but were separated into different "Styles" which were defined by tone wood and ornamentation. Structurally they were the same. That is not the case with the modern Martin Series.

The current 15 Series Martins are all mahogany guitars with A-Frame bracing. They initially had an M/T neck, but that switched to the Simple Dovetail in 2012. They are also all long scale regardless of body size. Again, different from traditional Martins.

The '54 you played would have been built like any other 1954 Martin, straight braces and 1 3/8" bridge plate, but in mahogany with very few frills. However, they were just as nicely built as a D-28 (their most expensive guitar at the time) in terms of workmanship. While the neck may have felt wider, it was not. Fuller necks tend to feel wider than they measure. A 1950's 0-15 had a 1 11/16" neck and 2 1/8" bridge spacing, again typical of 14 fret guitars of the period. It would be short scale too.

IMO 1950-1964 Martins are currently the best value in vintage Martins - old factory construction at postwar prices. I think $3,000 is an extremely high price for anything but a mint condition example. I'd expect to more like $1,500-2,000 for one in average condition, maybe up to $2,500 for a cleaner one that did not need a neck reset or frets. (Those prices are what I would expect here in the US. I don't follow values elsewhere, so my estimations my not be all that helpful.)
What we do on weekends:
Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 AM

I like my 1959 0-15. It is a nice playing guitar with a sound that records well with several guitars in the mix, or as a solo instrument for a finger-style effort. It has a nice utility in recording. However finding a 'good one' might prove a little challenging. Most heavily played Martin guitars are that way for a reason(even the student models). Play before you buy. $3K sounds like the neighborhood.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 AM

Love my '58. Prices have been going up for the last few years. I wonder if Kenneth Pattengale of The Milk Carton Kids (he plays a '54) has had any influence on prices going up, similar to the way prices for the Epiphone Olympic increased when they became desirable because David Rawlings plays one.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

I have no experience will the older Martins but I have owned L.A. Guitar Sales 0 15 12 fret and currently the 00 12 fret model, both with 1 3/4 neck width. It is hard to imagine how the old ones could be much better,mine have a wonderful tone and playability. In my opinion, really really good sound.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
...It is hard to imagine how the old ones could be much better,mine have a wonderful tone and playability...
They are not structurally similar - design, bracing, construction, and age. Better, worse, or just different is a matter of perspective.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:09 PM

I love my '59 0-15. It needed a neck reset for conventional playing when I bought it in '82, and I couldn't afford it at the time, so I put an extension nut on it and played it as an acoustic steel guitar. The extension nut is still there; it sounds so good played that way that I've no desire to "fix" it.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post

Absolutely loved it and was my fave sounding Martin in the shop I visited today while in Australia.

Ive always been a fan of the 15 series due to their balance and midrange qualities, always thought they were someting between a Martin and Gibson tone, but definitely more Martin.

I did own a modern 00-15 and really like the tone, but sold it as the 1 11/16 nut and low profile neck just didnt work well for me.

However this 0-15 had clearly 1 3/4 nut and a chunky but not overwhelming neck profile, it felt perfect in my hand.

The tone was also superb. I do love the older Martins as I find they are so much more balanced and highly responsive than new Martins, with a sweet, played in tone.

Being in Australia right now it was of course massively overpriced (AUD$5,000 asking price) but it did make me think more as I do miss the 00-15. This would be a great replacement.

For those who own one of these lovelly 0-15's, how do you find it, whats its strenghts and weaknesses, how do you compare it to the 00, OM varieties ?

Also, what is the more realistic market price in the US for a 50's 0-15 ? Quick look at Gbase it seems US$3,000 seems to be the going price.

thanks in advance.
Gibby
hi
i have a 44 0-17 -scalloped braces, 1 11/16 nut.
1 3/4 nut and scallops on early 30s til changed approx 1939.....the ones everone wants!
regRds BluesKing777 on phone at beach shack
Old 12-30-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post

thanks in advance.
Gibby
Just did a currency conversion from AUD to USD and 5,000.00 AUD converts to 3.654.00 USD. So the cost isn't that much more than the going rate in the US.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion