The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Default Martin OOOX1AE

I know that the OOOX1AE is a far cry from the all wood Martins.

But is there any love at all for these? Or are there other similar options that are just "that much better?"
Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

In that price range, it's a killer solid top 000. I just played one at a local Martin dealer the other day, and it sounded fantastic. The nice thing about them is that they are very easy to come by. You can know exactly what you're getting, which is especially nice in the sub 1k price point. One of my sons plays the dread version, DX1AE, and it's fantastic. Some non-traditional materials are used in the construction of them, which some will sharply criticize, but if that's not a problem for you, they are very durable, and good guitars.

Last edited by kcnbys; 12-30-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:11 PM

Have you consider the 000rs1? it's more expensive yes, but it's all solid wood and comes with a case. It would be strange to get a guitar without a case imo, so the way I see it, upgrading is a wash
Old 12-30-2015, 02:27 PM

Smile

The one I owned was a solid, well made and great sounding guitar, I just couldn't get along with the rather unfinished finish - almost like bare wood, but really played and sounded great...
Cort L1200P
Cort L300VF
Guild M-120
Old 12-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I owned one for a year or so. It was a decent guitar. It wasn't super loud, but it was excellent for both strummed and fingerstyle vocal accompaniment, and it was good plugged-in. If you can find one used, it's a better deal.

Anything I would have used it for back then (pre-K music classes) is a job for my Taylor GS-Mini now.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadmire View Post
I know that the OOOX1AE is a far cry from the all wood Martins.

But is there any love at all for these? Or are there other similar options that are just "that much better?"
I do like this guitar and the dx1ae very much. It plays and sounds very good. Not many guitars in this price range that sound better.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:47 PM

It sounds good and it is easier on my arthritic shoulder.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 PM

Default Martin OOOX1AE

Love my 00x1, every 000x1 I've played has been really good, often better than guitars well over 2x the price.

I know it's easy to get hung up on how it's made but if you just base it on how it plays and how it sounds I think it's very hard to beat for the price.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:28 PM

Default Martin OOOX1AE

They are decent guitars and I have the 12 string version. I bought it because the HPL and stratobond neck are nearly indestructible and I wanted to play it outside and around camp fires without worry. My biggest complaint on any of these X Martins is they are neck heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Now I just have to convince myself to trade my Epiphone Dot Deluxe for one that's for sale locally.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
In that price range, it's a killer solid top 000. I just played one at a local Martin dealer the other day, and it sounded fantastic. The nice thing about them is that they are very easy to come by. You can know exactly what you're getting, which is especially nice in the sub 1k price point. One of my sons plays the dread version, DX1AE, and it's fantastic. Some non-traditional materials are used in the construction of them, which some will sharply criticize, but if that's not a problem for you, they are very durable, and good guitars.
Agree wholeheartedly. I have the 000X1AE & love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion