The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 02:57 PM

Default "warm" versus "twangy" sound?

I am a newbie, been practicing for about 1 1/2 years on a new Blueridge 143. Happy with the progress I am making. But I do have a question: I'm not sure I'm using correct verbiage here so bare with me...I have heard acoustics that sound very warm, not at all what I would call twangy. My 143 is a little twangy, not enough to give me buyer's remorse. My 143 is a 000 - I wonder if it does not sound as warm because of the size of the guitar versus say a dread, the type/weight of the strings, the difference in manufacture inherent to the brand, I believe it also needs a setup again and that may be contributing. How can I get a more warm sound out of my guitar? I'm not expecting miracles, I have what I have, what I could afford. I just need some advice/education on what is involved with the sounds I get compared to other guitars and what little I might be able to do to adjust. Also I find it interesting that I wonder what my guitar sounds like in front of it compared to what I think I am hearing from behind it as I play.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Strings

...make a BIG difference in how your guitar sounds. Try different brands. I have found that I prefer Elixer Polyweb 12-53's on my dred size Masterbilt. It gives it a warm, mellow sound.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative1 View Post
I am a newbie, been practicing for about 1 1/2 years on a new Blueridge 143. Happy with the progress I am making. But I do have a question: I'm not sure I'm using correct verbiage here so bare with me...I have heard acoustics that sound very warm, not at all what I would call twangy. My 143 is a little twangy, not enough to give me buyer's remorse. My 143 is a 000 - I wonder if it does not sound as warm because of the size of the guitar versus say a dread, the type/weight of the strings, the difference in manufacture inherent to the brand, I believe it also needs a setup again and that may be contributing. How can I get a more warm sound out of my guitar? I'm not expecting miracles, I have what I have, what I could afford. I just need some advice/education on what is involved with the sounds I get compared to other guitars and what little I might be able to do to adjust. Also I find it interesting that I wonder what my guitar sounds like in front of it compared to what I think I am hearing from behind it as I play.

Hi C1...

Everything you've discussed seems easily addressable.

Here are some thoughts...
  • Ask someone else to play your guitar so you can hear it from in front of it (or record it).
  • Thicken your pick, and/or play more over the soundhole to warm up the sound some.
  • Try some 80/20 non-coated strings, and step them up one weight if it still needs warming.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-30-2015, 03:25 PM

I'd say a typical BR-143 is a little more "bright" than twangy? Try something with rosewood back and sides for more "warmth"- if any of that means anything
Old 12-30-2015, 03:26 PM

oops..........

Last edited by George Bailey; 12-30-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Said it twice
Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM

Like Larry J said, strings and a thicker pick can make a big difference. I like phosphor bronze strings for a warmer tone: DR Rares are my favorite. I've heard several people recommend John Pearse. GHS Vintage Bronze is another that I found quite warm, although I lost some clarity on the one guitar I tried them on.

I love experimenting with strings; it can make so much difference in tone. Have fun!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Yes, the size of your guitar has a lot to do with what you are attempting to describe to us. I can see how someone would describe a dread versus 000 as warm versus twangy.

But it's really just that a dread has a much deeper and fuller bass response to it. The 000 size guitars are best played finger style or folk type songs on them. The response you get with a single plucked note comes out better for some reason on those guitars. They flat pick good too.

The best thing to do is try some different strings, but the reality is, I don't believe strings alone will change the sound you are referring to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion