The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Guest4562

Default I Rarely Get to a Guitar Shop

I was visiting my daughter in Richmond and she lives within walking distance of a place called "The Guitar Works" on Cary Street, so I just had to walk on over. I needed a slide anyway (don't ask).

Neat place. There was one guy there working on something behind the counter who let me look around. Mostly student grade stuff - electrics, acoustics, basses, banjos and a few mandolins. They give lessons upstairs so that makes sense. They have instruments with the shop logo on the head stock, but I never found out what that was all about. There was some gear as well but it doesn't seem to be a rock oriented place. There is a high end room, I had brought my finger picks, so why not?

They had a lot of Martins and Taylors. I only played two, the first being what I believe was a Huss & Dalton DS. It reminded me of a Gibson I once owned and was in the $3000 range. It wasn't for me. I really kind of had to fight with it, a setup was in order and it seemed a bit unresponsive. Then I picked up an MIM Martin, which I think was a D1AXE. It was in the mid $500s, and if I wasn't retired I would have bought it. It did need a new set of strings but it had good tone and an excellent setup. A great gig guitar.

I was hoping to chat with the guy a bit, but some customers came in and he got busy. The slide was $8.95.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like you got off cheap?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion