The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 AM
IMHO/YMMV

Default 2 Taylor Baby model questions

Can anyone tell me what the GB in 301-M-GB stands for? The M is mahogany, I know, and the 301 is the Taylor Baby.

Which leads me to my 2nd question.

What is the difference between the 301 and the 305 (which also seems to be a Taylor Baby). And when/why did it change?

Sometimes I feel like I'm running as fast as I can just to stay in place.

Mike
Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
strummin' an x12

Default "gig bag"

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
Can anyone tell me what the GB in 301-M-GB stands for?

Mike
"GB" refers to "gig bag", as opposed to a regular case (or no case or bag).

My '98 Baby came in one of those thermo-plastic hard cases with "Taylor" etched into it-- pretty cool-- but I don't think they provided those cases for long?

(My Baby also does not have side fret markers, and has a funny coating on the neck-- it's not strictly satin. Go figure!)

- Sarah
Old 03-21-2007, 09:45 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong... here's my take...

301 is used for Baby Taylors around 2000 cos my Baby Koa is 301-K-GB (GB means gig bag?)

my 2006 Baby Mah. was a 305-M and since Gig bag comes standard, they dont print GB anymore? =P

Haha, my guesses...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieler View Post
"GB" refers to "gig bag", as opposed to a regular case (or no case or bag).

My '98 Baby came in one of those thermo-plastic hard cases with "Taylor" etched into it-- pretty cool-- but I don't think they provided those cases for long?

(My Baby also does not have side fret markers, and has a funny coating on the neck-- it's not strictly satin. Go figure!)

- Sarah

They stopped the SKB hard cases in 2000... so i got it off ebay... the "Taylor Guitars" Logo etched was so nice i just HAD to get one =P

Also, just visited Taylor's webby AGAIN =P seems like they changed the Baby Taylor's numbers again for 2007 (see the title of the webpage when you browse through the Baby Taylor pages - BT1 is Baby Taylor, BT2 - Baby-M, BBT - Big Baby

Haha =P
Old 03-21-2007, 03:49 PM

The number differences may reflect the bracing change. Originally the Baby had a hoop brace like the Taylor Bass. At some point it was changed to standard bracing.

Among the historical babies are rosewood, koa, maple and bubinga laminates as regular production models. There was also a special Baby Liberty Tree with a laminate made from the famous tree.

My son learned to play guitar using a Big Baby which, though an accurate description, I find to be an unfortunate name. I've recommended the guitar many times to someone playing big box laminate crap only to have them agree it sounds way better but they don't want a guitar called a "Big Baby".

The Baby is a decent guitar but I think the solid top little Martin is better. On my list of things to do is to get one or the other for high tuning like terz (up a 3rd) or requinto (up a 5th). There are references that Taylor originally intended the Baby for A-A tuning (G form open C) but the customers wanted standard (E-E) tuning.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:18 AM

My 1998 Windham Hill Baby is a 305. The 2001 is a 301-M-GB.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:37 PM

Default 301-M-GB

I just got this Baby and the satin varnish has started to flake off. Is there any easy fix? I noticed that they didn't use a wood grain filler on the mahogany top so every little grain spot seems to bubble...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion