The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 06:38 AM

Default Gibson Formula 1L & 1S information

Hi all,
I recently picked up a Gibson Formula 1L from 1996. Really nice guitar - square shouldered dred, There is very little information on the internet about this model and the 1S (J45 style), just the odd old thread and sales on reverb.

So I decided to email Gibson who were fantastic and really helpful and provided all the specs for both models from an original document from their archives! Couple of things that stand out from the specs...

* Solid Sitka top, solid Mahogany back and sides
* 25.5" scale for the 1L, 24.75 for the 1s
* Gibson's new 'super thin' neck profile
* Natural lacquer satin finish - this is really nice and in theory should help the guitar vibrate (especially if you compare it to my old sigma poly-finish)
* Mother of pearl script logo
* Retail price was $1599 - in today's money that is about $2800ish, so certainly not a budget model that has been suggested in other forums.
* 'Only 100 of each scheduled' - makes them a really rare model, although not particularly collectable or valuable according to previous sale prices. I am in the North-East of England and picked it up at a local guitar shop, so it certainly has had some journey to get here.

Sound wise its easily the best acoustic I have owned, probably the closest I will ever get to owning a Hummingbird.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2022, 07:19 AM

I missed out on one of those about 10 or so years ago on eBay. Seemed like the specs were great for the price they were asking back then (around $700). Glad to hear you enjoy yours! Would love to see some pics!
Old 01-28-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Interesting. I haven't heard of this series from Gibson. Have any pics to share?
Old 01-28-2022, 11:51 AM

My first thought was that if Bozeman labeled a neck "super thin" you would be talking scary skimpy.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:56 PM

Hi all - I will post a couple of pics once I get a photo bucket account sorted. To be honest it's an understated guitar, very much a 'non-shiny' J-30.
I thought the neck was quite chunky when I first played it, especially compared to the Sigma Dr28 I traded in for it.
It has a Bozeman orange label inside
Old 01-28-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Hi all - I will post a couple of pics once I get a photo bucket account sorted. To be honest it's an understated guitar, very much a 'non-shiny' J-30.
I thought the neck was quite chunky when I first played it, especially compared to the Sigma Dr28 I traded in for it.
It has a Bozeman orange label inside
Very cool. I love the Gibson square dreads but I can’t do the scale. I just had to get rid of a dove because I did not agree with the scale length. I once had a long scale hummingbird which was similar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion