The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2022, 01:27 PM

We've got two Boston Terriers. They both seem to enjoy my playing more than my wife or son and will come lay at my feet when I play. One is 12 years old and the other one is 3. The young guy enjoys singing with me, or at least I tell myself he sings with me because he enjoys it and not because his ears are hurting.
Searching for the right Esteban...
Old 01-27-2022, 01:49 PM

My dog goes into the back room. He hates my guitar playing. He really hates it when I play the harmonica.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I had a rescue Shepherd, no longer with us, and she would come over and lay at my feet when I played.

We also hung out a lot at the dog beach we would walk to from my house

I miss that girl

Last edited by Rad; 03-27-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I miss all our former "girls"...two Aussie's, a Sheltie, and two Weimaraner's. But Joy rules the roost!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-27-2022, 02:58 PM

My biggest pet fan, my dog Mack passed away late last August. He was 17 years old. He would sit by me while I played. Sweetest little guy ever. I still look for him and miss his companionship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1FAB61B-259D-403D-B825-813BEBF76754.jpg (68.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 03:10 PM

My old cat was jealous of anything in my lap. She would squeeze in between the guitar and my body when I was playing.

The dog didn't care so long as I was touching him with a foot, then he was happy.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Unlike the dog I posted about above who would sit quietly at my feet when I played guitar, when this 18 yr old guy wanted attention he did not care if I was playing or not.

Last edited by Rad; 03-27-2023 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

OP here.
Thank you all for sharing images and stories of your fur babies.
Our Rusty, despite BOOPING my right hand when guitar is deployed, has brought a great joy into our lives since June of last year when we got him. He arrived at a time when joy was not easy to find.
Wish you and your furry ones all the best.
David
Old 01-27-2022, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

The first few months after getting our min. poodle puppy Gus, every time I'd play and sing full voice(usually on the sofa) he'd jump up and frantically start licking my face. The vet said it's a behavior they exhibit to comfort other dogs around them when they're crying/wimpering. Not a great commentary on my voice LOL....Gus just celebrated his 14th birthday!
Old 01-27-2022, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I had a rescue Shepherd, no longer with us, and she would come over and lay at my feet when I played.

We also hung out a lot at the dog beach we would walk to from my house

I miss that girl
OP here. Rad, I love that image of your girl.
That is a keen canine.
Sorry for your loss.
David
Old 01-27-2022, 08:59 PM

Many years ago the person I lived with had trained our rabbit to be an indoor pet. That rabbit named Bugs would mostly stay in the room at one end of the house. I usually played guitar in a room on the other end. There was one thing and only one thing that I played that would get Bug’s attention. I would be playing something and as I threw in the opening of Poems, Prayers and Promises by John Denver that rabbit would come hopping down the hall at top speed and sit in front of me. A minute or two after playing that he would go back to the room where he hung out. He did that EVERY time I would play that opening.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:47 PM

When my cat was a kitten he sat and watched me change the strings on my guitar. When I finished and put the guitar down he walked over and plucked a string with his mouth. Since he got older he isn't as curious about things and often leaves the room when I get the guitar out.
These days my cat likes to be drummed on. I was patting him lightly one day and noticed he was purring intensely. Now he wants to be drummed on (hands only-no sticks) every day. I wondered if this was unique to my cat so I checked on YouTube and there are some videos of cats being drummed on so I guess it isn't that unusual. I practice various rudiment patterns and my drumming has improved a lot thanks to my cat.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

IMG_1643342616.915476.jpgIMG_0438.jpg

Our dogs will routinely paw my hand in hopes of initiating some petting but never while I’m playing guitar.

If they are in a different room when I start to play guitar they will hustle in and find a soft spot with a view. They think I’m an amazing musician. Hehe. They don’t get out much.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:27 PM

cleo1.jpg

My dog Cleo seems to appreciate my playing, and usually enjoys a peaceful nap while I'm doing so...

Let me pick up a harmonica though, and she heads for other parts of the house..
Old 01-27-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Actually, for 40 years I represented people with physical and mental infirmities in order to secure for them medical and financial benefits they were entitled to but were denied by governmental and insurance interests. I found that work deeply rewarding. Music is also precious to me (50+ years as a jazz winds musician), but that has been more of a guilty pleasure. Like the guitar.
David
Good on ya! What can I say? Lawyer joke...low hanging fruit there. Nothing personal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion