The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 01:08 PM

Default If I could just visit that old Guitar again!

Anybody wish they could revisit a old Guitar they once owned. Do ya sit and ponder what it would would like? The battle scars it probably has? I think about it often as I’m getting up there in age now. One I would love to see & play was a old C.F. Martin R-17 Arch-top. Picked it up around 1990’. It had few cracks on its mahogany top. I Re-topped that old guitar some 25 year old Sitka’ Spruce. Turned her into a Flat-top. Sold it shortly after. After all these years— Sure love to play that old box again
Old 01-25-2022, 01:14 PM

Nope, I've still got my first guitar from '72, and everyone since.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:18 PM
Musical minimalist

In '91 I walked into Elderly Instruments and saw a cool looking little guitar with a florentine cutaway - headstock said Taylor - I'd heard of them before but never played one.

I pulled it down and quickly discovered it had a much wider fingerboard (1 7/8) - this was back when Taylor had an overstock of 12 string necks, I would find out later.

That little guitar and I bonded like peas and carrots and I took it home that day for very little $$$.

It was my one and only for 11 years and that was back when I was performing all the time - we did hundreds of shows together!

When I joined this place, and started reading about all the different builders, I bought a couple guitars that seemed better at the time, and I let my old friend go.

I would definitely like to sit and give it a run again.....I know the guitars I have now are much better, but there is a lot of history there!!

Old 01-25-2022, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Oh yeah, I bought a used D35 in around 1972. I’d been playing a Yamaha and the Martin was a big step up. I loved the sound of that guitar and only sold it to help come up with the down payment on our first house. I’d really love to hear what it sounds like now after 50 years of aging.

I sold it to a young hippy musician that worked in a machine shop in Nevada with me. Are you out there in AGF land Sam???
Old 01-25-2022, 01:42 PM

I had a 1991 Gibson SJ banner reissue. First year they started making them again under Ren. Bought it for $1000 and sold it to guitar center to get a jazzmaster. What a silly thing to do.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:11 PM

I have definitely been through the you don't know what got till it's gone thing a few times. For much of my life though I had to trade one guitar in to get another. So, as example, in long progression over a number of years, I had a 1956 Gibson Southerner Jumbo. I loved that guitar. But I traded it for a 1946 Gibson LG2. I think in this case it was a matter of me liking the idea of a script logo Gibson more than the guitar itself. I, however, started to come to my senses and traded the LG2 for a 1957 Gibson CF100. While I liked this one better it was still not the guitar I was meant to own. Finally, I traded that one in for a 1932 Gibson L1. Bingo, at long last we had a winner and I was again settled in with a guitar which felt like coming home. But I still have never been able to get that SJ out of my head.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:18 PM

yes, my 71 Blonde Tele with a Maple neck. I was 14 when I got it

I remember the day the store called the house to tell me it had finally arrived.

I lived about a mile from town, I ran down to the store in mid june heat, then walked home with it which was just about all up hill, learned pretty fast how heavy the tele and case were. Didn't care.

Still wish I had that one.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:27 PM

I'd sure like to have my Bourgeois Slope D Banjo Killer back for a little while and blind comparison it to my AT Vintage D with Banjo Killer bracing. That would be an intersting comparison.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-25-2022, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

My first guitar was a brand-new 1974 Alvarez 5023. Came with a cardboard case for $150. All laminate, and it had the cheapest tuners made and that crazy adjustable bridge. No reason that it should have sounded like much, but it did; it sounded darn good. It was my only guitar for 25 years, and I played the snot out of it.

Then I moved up to better guitars, and put the Alvarez aside. It was worn out anyway, with a twist in the neck and the frets were shot. But I still liked looking at it, and the top had turned a pretty pumpkin color. So I put it on a stand on a high shelf in the den, and it sat there for years.

I occasionally give lessons, and was giving them to the local musical phenom, a 13-year old girl. She was the real deal, a skinny kid with braces who sings like Adele. A true talent. But her parents didn't have much and she needed a guitar, so I took down the Alvarez and told her she could borrow it if she kept at the lessons. I polished up the guitar and put new strings on it, and it sounded even better than I remembered.

After a couple of months of lessons, I told her she could have that guitar, on the condition that she feature it on her first album cover, and she said she would. I figured I'd still get to see it when she was playing at our Open Mic, plus I told her to bring it to me when it needed work. I would be her guitar tech, which would allow me to play that old thing once in a while.

But then her parents, rather abruptly, up and moved the family back to Wisconsin, and the old Alvarez went too. So I doubt that I'll ever see it again, unless it appears on that album cover.

Hope it's doing okay.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Nope

Everything I own today is better in every way. I don't make rash purchases, nor rash sales. The past is the past. Zero regrets...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-25-2022, 02:46 PM

"If I could just visit that old Guitar again"

Sounds like the start of a good song. Why don't you finish it?
Old 01-25-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
"If I could just visit that old Guitar again"

Sounds like the start of a good song. Why don't you finish it?
Well brother here’s one I wrote and recorded few months back that kinda fits this thread! https://youtu.be/ipOER_d6qEw
Old 01-25-2022, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

The only guitars I liked that I sold were an early 000 16 Martin, and twenty years later, an M 36, both to a friend. I've seen them many times with no regrets. I had the M36 since selling the 000 16 to help pay for it. Great guitar, I just needed a dread for the direction I went.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-25-2022, 03:32 PM

My first acoustic was a ‘63 J45 cherry sunburst. I bought it new about a year before entering the Air Force. I took it with me, and being a poor married GI, found myself in need of money and hocked it in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. The guy gave me a whopping $60.00 for it. I think he (might have) seen me coming, as they say.

Would love to have that one back, or at least visit with it.

Rb
Old 01-25-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Guitars View Post
Well brother here’s one I wrote and recorded few months back that kinda fits this thread! https://youtu.be/ipOER_d6qEw
Excellent. The backup fills it out nicely.

Sold off a D-18V that might be bouncing around Cheyenne or somewhere out in the Wyoming Big Empty. Never did get along with its neck. Wonder how it's doing. Wasn't that impressed with the buyer.

Last edited by zmf; 01-25-2022 at 03:53 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion