The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 01:35 PM

My Eastman E10om is the best guitar I have owned and I have owned a few. I owned a Martin 000-18 at the same time. Played them back to back over a couple weeks. Sold the Martin. You could find a used E10om in your price range no problem.
Old 01-26-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I'd look at a Furch Blue series. They are Cedar/Mahogany. Killer instruments for the price especially.
+1 on Furch Blue series, although unless you know you want to be a fingerstyle guitarist, i would get a spruce top like this Blue Plus:
https://reverb.com/item/34820903-fur...padded-gig-bag

there's also a cutaway OM with spruce/walnut on Reverb as well.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
The old saying is “Skip you second guitar and go straight to your third guitar.” Buy I doubt I’ll ever spend $2k for a guitar. $1300 for my AC422CE was all I could justify.
What basis do you use for justification? Please don't even use the I'm not worthy argument. If you simply are using economics, well that's valid. You need to keep a roof over your head. But buying a clean used 000 18 is a very sound economic purchase. So is investing in your peace of mind and well being. If you should be so lucky as to stumble upon an early 90s 000 16, seriously consider it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-26-2022, 03:55 PM

Normally my default recommendation would be Larrivee OM-03 or OM-40

But, those are standard scale.

A few years ago you could have found a used Rainsong CH-OM for that price, but after those were discontinued prices rose considerably.

Honestly, I'd probably go with the Martin 000-13. There is nothing wrong with Martin's Mexican product.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-26-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
What basis do you use for justification? Please don't even use the I'm not worthy argument. If you simply are using economics, well that's valid. You need to keep a roof over your head. But buying a clean used 000 18 is a very sound economic purchase. So is investing in your peace of mind and well being. If you should be so lucky as to stumble upon an early 90s 000 16, seriously consider it.

Nobody needs to justify what they are willing or not willing to spend to anyone else on this forum.

I do appreciate your opinions on the relative merits of the various guitars. Your posts have given me food for though.

-Tim-
Old 01-26-2022, 05:14 PM

I would simply like to remind the OP of what is obvious: There are very good sounding, good playing guitars at all kinds of price points. Stop assuming that the more expensive guitar in your future is going to sound better than what you are calling your "interim" guitar.

I have guitars that span a wide spectrum of prices. The most expensive ones are not necessarily the best sounding. Lots of research can help you identify real gems at lower price points.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I would simply like to remind the OP of what is obvious: There are very good sounding, good playing guitars at all kinds of price points. Stop assuming that the more expensive guitar in your future is going to sound better than what you are calling your "interim" guitar.

I have guitars that span a wide spectrum of prices. The most expensive ones are not necessarily the best sounding. Lots of research can help you identify real gems at lower price points.
“More expensive guitar sounding better” are not my words.

I never said that.

-Tim-
Old 01-26-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
“More expensive guitar sounding better” are not my words.

I never said that.

-Tim-
No, you did not. My apologies for misconstruing what I thought I had read. In any case, it was not at all intended as a criticism.

Hard to advise which of the guitars you are considering might be best for you. My Eastman E20OM is about a decade old, and is probably my best sounding guitar. My understanding is that they've gotten even better in recent years. The Martin models you mentioned are of interest to me, too, but I have only heard them in video reviews.

I was also going to recommend the Larrivee OM-03, until I saw that you were interested in short scale. As many here will testify, the Larrivees tend to be very well balanced. I think of mine as a swiss army knife -- very versatile, with lots to recommend it.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-27-2022, 08:02 AM

Personally, I don't like this price range. The instruments don't seem to offer more than $800 instruments and it's very close to "professional" model used instruments.

But my preferences are not your preferences, and with today's market maybe it's no longer that close to the better stuff. I also appreciate the desire to get another guitar. comfort level is incredibly important when it comes to spending larger chunks of money.

I would go with my tonal preference.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-27-2022, 09:08 AM

If sitka over solid mahogany trips your trigger, I would say to take a look at the Alvarez Masterworks OM with your desired scale length. You could almost buy two of these on your budget, if you were willing to dispense with the electronics. This guitar priced with electronics AND a good setup, to include taking care of the sharp from the factory fret ends, should cost you under $1000 bucks with a hard-shell case.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:34 AM

I don't follow current prices closely, but I'd say look at the current model Martin 000-17 or one of their 15 series. They may be over your ceiling in current pricing, and I shudder to even look at current used prices.

Yes, the 15 series are all mahogany or "'hog-a-like," and that sound is somewhat its own thing compared to the others you have on your short list, but one advantage is that if you do want another, more expensive guitar in a couple of years the 15 series guitar may be a keeper as a complementary sound. And of course, this is the AGF, we're always lobbying for "+1"

I'm pleased and puzzled by the current Martin 000-17 plain dressed mahogany/spruce line. I enjoy mine and I'm more than pleased by its sound and responsiveness. Yet other folks on this forum (and probably elsewhere) seem to describe another, less versatile/desirable sound than I experience.

I've never played an Eastman (other than an early model archtop a decade or so ago) and I'd like to someday.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-27-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahanien View Post
My Eastman E10om is the best guitar I have owned and I have owned a few. I owned a Martin 000-18 at the same time. Played them back to back over a couple weeks. Sold the Martin. You could find a used E10om in your price range no problem.
Sitka spruce top or the Adirondack spruce top? Torrified or not?

Like I said earlier I played an E6 OM-TC and wasn't impressed. I've always wondered if it was the torrified Alpine spruce, and if I would have liked it more if it had been sitka.

I'd really like to get my hands on an E10SS /v. I sometimes wonder if that would cure my jones for a 000-18/J-45.

I'd have to sell my guild D-25 though...
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 01-27-2022, 03:00 PM

My opinions: I suggest OP go try a bunch of guitars WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE PRICE TAGS OR THE HEADSTOCK LABELS and see which ones please him. As someone mentioned above, the price tag has surprisingly little to do with playability and sound quality. Same for paper specifications about woods. We don't play catalogs and specification documents. Find a group that pleases and choose from among them.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
What basis do you use for justification? buying a clean used 000 18 is a very sound economic purchase
I would LOVE to own a 000-18. But I can't justify in my head having two spruce & mahogany acoustic guitars.

Right now I HAVE a spruce & mahogany acoustic, my '86 Guild D-25, which looks, plays, & sounds BEAUTIFUL. I love it. I've lugged that thing back and forth across the USA several times, and literally around the world (US Navy Indian ocean cruise, '87). And being 35 years old I consider it a vintage guitar, even if many others wouldn't.

So its got tone & playability, sentimental value, and vintage cache.

If I bought a Martin I'd have to sell my Guild. Then I wouldn't have a vintage guitar anymore.

I would have to REALLY LOVE the 000-18 to get me to sell my Guild.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 01-27-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
Nobody needs to justify what they are willing or not willing to spend to anyone else on this forum.

I do appreciate your opinions on the relative merits of the various guitars. Your posts have given me food for though.

-Tim-
I'm just replying with the term used in the post I was replying to. No one needs to justify to others what their choices are, but you do have to justify what you do to yourself. I was at a music camp with a fellow who was playing a Master Model Gibson F 5 mandolin. Buy a new one and you've spent $20,000+. Of course he bought his twenty years ago for under ten, but in reletive terms, the same pile of loot. He said he believed in good quality instruments, and never regretted it. He wasn't rolling in cash, he just had his priorities. When he decided to buy a bass, he spent $8K instead of $2K. His view of cars? If it runs, it's good.

My daughters always played solid student grade instruments. In the thousands for a viola and over ten thousand for a cello. Insured their success because they were a joy to play. Both are pros today. Their practicing increased simply due to the beauty of the instruments. If you are really excited about an instrument, you'll play it more. That's all I'm saying. So if you can afford to give yourself that gift, I say do it. Don't spend money if you don't hear it, or feel it, but if you do, splurge.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion