The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 03:31 PM

I have a secret crush on the Martin "Smartwood" cherry OM. I've seen them in your price range and I have heard great things about them. I think Dave's Guitar might have one right now.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:44 PM

This Eastman OM will more then meet your demands.

It does have an Engelmann top and original p/u system.

Comes with original case.

Sorry to tout my own guitar but it's a lot of guitar that should last you many, many years.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=637784

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 01-25-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I think I answered this in another forum. Basically, if you have the money, bypass this interim upgrade and go buy a nice clean $2000 used 000 18 or some such. You can take lessons with one just fine. You'll like it more, you'll play it more, and you'll get better faster. I see no point in incremental upgrades, provided you have the money. If you don't, there are some good guitars to be had for $1000. Lack of funds is the only reason to buy one IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
The Martin 000-18 is a short scale. I love mine. You could probably find one on the secondary market.

I have never paid list price.

This is being considered. There's a nice one on Reverb right now for $2100 and change. It sure would be sweet.

I feel like if I'm ready to commit $2k on a guitar then I'd just go all out and buy an 000-28 with adirondack top. Again, not sure I'm ready to commit.

Abraham Lincoln surrounded himself with people he knew were going challenge is perceptions and perspectives because he knew he was fallible. Getting additional perspective is why I posted. It's an additional data point and fun to think about. Thanks fellas.

-Tim-
(OP)

Last edited by TTiimm; 01-25-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-OM View Post
This Eastman OM will more then meet your demands.

It does have an Engelmann top and original p/u system.

Comes with original case.

Sorry to tout my own guitar but it's a lot of guitar that should last you many, many years.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=637784

Tout away. It's very nice!

I'd consider it but I'd like to stay with 24.9" scale for now.

-Tim-
Old 01-25-2022, 07:52 PM

I just bought a Martin 000-RSG, the predecessor to the 000-13e, last month and I've been super impressed with it. I seriously feel lucky to have found it given I was expecting to spend a lot more to get a guitar that sounds and plays as nicely as this one.

Last edited by Starshine; 01-25-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2022, 08:38 PM

I'd look at a Furch Blue series. They are Cedar/Mahogany. Killer instruments for the price especially.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:02 PM

Wink

When I read the title,

I thought u are upgrading from $1200 to $ 1,400,000

Stradivarius maybe
Old 01-26-2022, 08:14 AM

Great thread, and timely!

I'm looking for (almost) the identical guitar. I'd prefer a warmer tonewood for the top (mahogany, etc.). I have three Ibanez's that fall into this spec (one with torrified spruce top), but I'm looking to upgrade. Be nice to trade in all three toward something in the $1200-1800 range.

I'll go back and scour the previous posts. Be grateful for any additional suggestions.

24.5" scale
000/OM body (non-cutaway preferable)
electronics
1-3/4" nut
all mahogany or similar

I was seriously bummed that the Martin 000-15's are full scale. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me considering the OMs and the lower/higher versions of the same line. SMH .... The Taylor x22 grand concert bodies are too small for me.

Thanks in advance!
2009 Ibanez AS73B w/Piezo
Old 01-26-2022, 08:36 AM

I recently got myself a Sitka E6OM-TC, and it wasn't because of the price. If not for the MLO necks on the Martins, it would have been a 000-18.

I was skeptical, but I have to say, this is a great guitar. It sounds great and the neck is very comfortable for me. It's in the shop at the moment getting a slight action adjustment, but it's a keeper.

I'll do a NGD post after I get it back.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I've never been terribly impressed by those lower end Martins
Me either, TBH. I played several when I was shopping for my AC422 CE. Although many forum members love theirs.

Now I’m usually a big Eastman booster, but I played an E6 OM-TC and wasn’t greatly impressed. Not disappointed either. It just sounded “like a guitar.” That’s not enough for me to open my wallet. Odd, too, because I normally love mahogany guitars.

I played an E20 OM-TC and was impressed. I recall the tone to be “chime-like.” But I went with the AC422CE because of the more balanced tone.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 01-26-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I think I answered this in another forum. Basically, if you have the money, bypass this interim upgrade and go buy a nice clean $2000 used 000 18 or some such. You can take lessons with one just fine. You'll like it more, you'll play it more, and you'll get better faster. I see no point in incremental upgrades, provided you have the money. If you don't, there are some good guitars to be had for $1000. Lack of funds is the only reason to buy one IMHO.
The old saying is “Skip you second guitar and go straight to your third guitar.” Buy I doubt I’ll ever spend $2k for a guitar. $1300 for my AC422CE was all I could justify.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 01-26-2022, 09:29 AM

It's a different sound with the mahogany top but I tried one of the new Taylor AD22e guitars that came out in the last few months yesterday.

It was an absolutely killer guitar in this size range and scale length and price range.

I played it a bit and one of the guys who worked there also played it so I could hear what it sounded like out in front of it. Then we did the same with a similar Martin. The characteristic sound differences were there but the Taylor just played like butter.. just a really good build.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:20 AM

There’s a nice Eastman OM here on the Classifieds, first page. I assume you have seen it?
Old 01-26-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaam View Post
There’s a nice Eastman OM here on the Classifieds, first page. I assume you have seen it?
I have seen them. Thank you.

An E10OM has been located locally and I might go strum it this weekend. The E8 would be more in line with what I'm looking for but I think it is worth the drive to look at the 10.

I'm also going to lay hands on the Martin 000-12e. Its right in my town.

I'd like to play the Yamaha FSX5, though that's at the top of my price range.

Taylors are everywhere here so I'll try those while I'm at the shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
Great thread, and timely!

I'm looking for (almost) the identical guitar.

24.5" scale
000/OM body (non-cutaway preferable)
electronics
1-3/4" nut
all mahogany or similar

Good luck and happy shopping. Please let me know if you play anything and what you think.

As stated above, Eastman E8OM or the TC version, Yamaha FS5 or FSX5 and the martin 000-12 or 13 are on my list.

I'm not in a terrible rush.

-Tim-
Old 01-26-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydaux View Post
Me either, TBH. I played several when I was shopping for my AC422 CE. Although many forum members love theirs.

Now I’m usually a big Eastman booster, but I played an E6 OM-TC and wasn’t greatly impressed. Not disappointed either. It just sounded “like a guitar.” That’s not enough for me to open my wallet. Odd, too, because I normally love mahogany guitars.

I played an E20 OM-TC and was impressed. I recall the tone to be “chime-like.” But I went with the AC422CE because of the more balanced tone.
I will say, my E6OM-TC didn't impress me the first night I got it. Thought for sure it was going back. More play time and a string change made the difference. Of course taking into account variations inherent in guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion