The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How many fingers do you usually use when fingerpicking/styling?
1, Thumb only 0 0%
2 14 6.97%
3 50 24.88%
4 119 59.20%
5 18 8.96%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Ditto........
Ditto for me also! (Thumb and two fingers = index and middle fingers).
Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Get off my lawn kid

T + 3

The pinky watches for any mistakes

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-10-2016, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Thumb and 3 fingers, without resting my pinkie on the guitar.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
I took some classical guitar lessons about 30 years ago....so my memory might not be so good, I thought in general the thumb was mostly used for the 3 bass strings and first finger for the g string, middle finger for the b string and the ring finger for the high e. With that being said, I do remember some exercises on the three high strings using my first and middle finger.

Todd in Chicago
You are correct. Most classical players are taught that way. The designation, if I recall, was P , I, M, A. I remember being told P= thumb, but I have to guess that i=index, m=middle and have no clue what A is. My pinky is way too short to be of any use.

Having learned this way as a kid was such a good thing and I believe almost a necessity if you're ever going to play hybrid. If you have to hold a flat pick with thumb and index you don't want to be short a finger when it comes to finger picking in that style.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 PM

Thumb and three fingers. Thumbpick + bare flesh. Palm anchored into the bridge. Thumb for bass strings and one finger allocated for each treble string (a rule that is frequently broken as occasion demands).
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Old 12-10-2016, 06:34 PM

Hey Tico

I play the same way you describe and yes it does seem to be unusual!

I was also self taught with a few books - I remember getting a book from the library on Spanish guitar method and I guess that is where it came from. My hand just flows there, no anchoring.

There is a downside... I am not good at damping at all because if my hand touches the saddle then I lose that freedom and can only play with thumb and 2/3 due to the necessary bending of the fingers. On a dread I have no problem but 00/000 its difficult. As a result I do quite bit of left hand damping.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Hey Tico

There is a downside... I am not good at damping at all because if my hand touches the saddle then I lose that freedom and can only play with thumb and 2/3 due to the necessary bending of the fingers. On a dread I have no problem but 00/000 its difficult. As a result I do quite bit of left hand damping.
Interesting.
I have not experienced that.
Perhaps it could be attributed to the variation of anatomy between people.

I assume you're referring to damping/muting with the right edge of the palm of the right hand near the bridge (assuming you're playing right handed).

Perhaps exercises optimized to practice what you say you're not good at would help.
A good teacher can troubleshoot, isolate, and develop exercises that help you work on specific difficulties.

Last edited by Tico; 12-10-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:41 PM

Thumb and three fingers. Sometime just index and middle and sometimes middle and ring and then all three together, but they all get used. I've been doing it for so long I don't even think about which fingers are being used at any point. They just work all together and pick the correct string for the sequence of notes that I am playing. I also use all to "pinch" chords and strum with the back of the nails for rhythm. You can get some great funky things going with just your fingers.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 12-10-2016, 06:43 PM

It depends on the picking pattern and rhythm I'm using. Anything from thumb + 1 to thumb + 4. And that can vary in different parts of a song.
There are no rules is always the easiest rule to follow.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Thumb and 3 fingers.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
You are correct. Most classical players are taught that way. The designation, if I recall, was P , I, M, A. I remember being told P= thumb, but I have to guess that i=index, m=middle and have no clue what A is. My pinky is way too short to be of any use.

Having learned this way as a kid was such a good thing and I believe almost a necessity if you're ever going to play hybrid. If you have to hold a flat pick with thumb and index you don't want to be short a finger when it comes to finger picking in that style.
The 3rd finger is a Spanish word (maybe in association with Flamenco)?

MASCULINE NOUN
(anatomy)
a. ring finger
Me quebré el anular jugando al básquet.I broke my ring finger playing basketball.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:41 PM

proper classical guitar is 4 fingers with the thumb being assigned the lowest 3 strings.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

All 7 fingers.

The pinky is a perfectly usable finger. Not using it is a disservice to the kinds of things you can do.

There's a Villa Lobos piece (Prelude 3) that strongly benefits from using the pinky, for example. It allows you to pluck the chord instead of strumming it, and it sounds better that way.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
proper classical guitar is 4 fingers with the thumb being assigned the lowest 3 strings.
I'd call that "traditional" rather than "proper". There's nothing improper about using the pinky.

The same way that nobody learns classical with the Segovia hand position anymore, even though it was the One True Way back during his time--see Julian Bream, Turibio Santos and Roland Dyens, and compare them to younger players like Tatyana Ryzhkova or even Sharon Isbin.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 12-10-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:03 PM

I learned originally with Thumb + 4. But I was never satisfied with the type of sound I got that way.

So I re-learned Thumb + 3 and to me it's much better. I get more of a driving, rythmic tempo that way.

Maybe I just have an uncoordinated pinky finger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion