The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2024, 06:22 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
Timing is everything: Last night, I just picked up a WY1TS with a small top crack for $500.00!! Plays beautifully. Off to the Guitar Hospital today to have it glued and cleated.
Nice score!
Old 02-04-2024, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

I have a 1982 YW 1000. BR laminated back and sides. A copy of a Martin D 45, and now, 42 years on, the build quality really leaps out at you. The only reason its for sale is that as I age, its a bit cumbersome for me to play.
1982 K. Yairi YW1000 14 fret
Breedlove Oregon Concert 14 Fret
PRS Ten Top
Old 02-04-2024, 09:42 AM

I haven't played or seen a Yairi in years so I can't really provide much input here but I will I have heard people who play them and get fantastic sounds. Also their demos vids they post on Youtube are really good too. I'd be very interested to try some myself.

Considering an Alvarez AJ80CE to get as a "beater" myself.
In the hunt for a #3
Old 05-09-2024, 09:14 AM

I just came across your question (a little late I know). I have an FYM70CE, and it is my favorite acoustic. There is something about the tones/projection I get from that guitar that gives it the edge over my other acoustics. I know this is mostly a personal thing, but everyone who has heard this guitar agrees, and wants THAT guitar.

Just so you know, I'm not comparing it to cheap guitars. I have a nice selection of acoustics, and I value almost all of them highly (except a Taylor GS Mini with Sapele sides and back...don't care for that one much).
1. Taylor 712ce 12-fret
2. Bourgeois OM-Vintage
3. Martin 0012-28 Modern Deluxe
4. Alvarez Yairi FYM70CE (the guitar being discussed)
5. Alvarez Yairi PYM70

In my humble opinion, Yairi guitars compete very well with other boutique shops and major manufacturers and sell for significantly less. The FYM70 beats the other two guitars in the same general class in my collection, the Taylor 712 and the Bourgeois OM. Those are both excellent guitars, but the Yairi has that difficult-to-explain quality that makes it a bit better. For similar hard to understand reasons, my Martin 0012-28 sounds just a bit better to my ear than the Yairi PYM70, even though size, build quality, etc are very similar. The Martin has just a bit more "punch" (maybe from the carbon fiber plate they have inside under the bridge?). But that Martin cost more than double what the Yairi cost. If I didn't have the Martin to compare to, I'd say the Yairi is the best sounding parlor I've come across.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:48 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Ah, a familiar old thread!

I had commented earlier about my WY1 (cedar/rosewood), which is outstanding. I also have a DY-51 (cedar/mahogany), DY-57 (spruce/mahogany), and DY-76 (spruce/rosewood 12-string) and all are fabulous sounding and very playable.

These are all in addition to my Martin 000-28EC (spruce/rosewood), 0012-28 MD (spruce/rosewood), Guild D55 (spruce/rosewood), and Gibson HP 635W (spruce/walnut).

In terms of quality for the money, it's hard to beat the Yairi guitars. They are just a tremendous value, and it's getting tougher to find vintage ones on the used market. The new ones are also getting great reviews, also, but I haven't bought one new.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Thanks for the responses, folks.

I didn’t expect dozens and dozens of posts. I think the unique bridge design throws a lot of traditionalists off. It did me for many years. However, due to a recent disappointing experience with a higher end Martin, I may give one of these a go. The one I’m thinking about has the same compelling specs that the Martin had.

I’ll report all the news worth reporting, as they used to say.

Roger
The older ones didn't have that awkward bridge design.

this is the '78 DY74 I mentioned.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Anyone with experience with the higher level Yairi guitars?

Would love to hear opinions, experience, sound clips, etc. I’m looking at the FYM70 (Sitka over rosewood OM) model.
Anyone played one yet?

Roger
I have 2 and they are absolutely amazing guitars. I have a 1996 DY62 and an early 2K dread from the Masterworks line
Old 05-09-2024, 11:15 AM

Am I right in thinking that the Yairi name refers to two or three different businesses started by brothers?

Is this thread talking about Alvarez Yairi? Are those guitars actually available to buy (in the UK?) I've seen a couple of YouTube vids by somebody who seems to be the UK promoter (Alvarez TV, I think it was called) but I can't see any guitars for sale. They sound mighty good on the videos.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:04 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
Am I right in thinking that the Yairi name refers to two or three different businesses started by brothers?

Is this thread talking about Alvarez Yairi? Are those guitars actually available to buy (in the UK?) I've seen a couple of YouTube vids by somebody who seems to be the UK promoter (Alvarez TV, I think it was called) but I can't see any guitars for sale. They sound mighty good on the videos.
Typically, when referencing 'Yairi' guitars we are referring to guitars produced by the Kazuo Yairi factory out of Kani, Gifu, Japan. They are sold as Alvarez-Yairi in the USA, and K Yairi elsewhere. I believe you'd find them in the UK as K. Yairi guitars.

Kazuo had a cousin named Sadao that was also a guitar maker, and those were typically sold under the S. Yairi brand (among others).

The Kazuo Yairi factory is still producing guitars today, still mostly using traditional tools and woodworking methods.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:30 PM

Thanks GITM!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion