The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2021, 06:29 PM

Default Another GC special build OOO-all solid ( road series? )

Does anyone here have any experience or info on this particular guitar? I'm guessing it's a GC/MF exclusive but it seems to have some really nice specs for $849. Solid sitka top, solid sapele back and sides, and ebony fingerboard/bridge. There is a Dread version too but it doesn't indicate the fingerboard material, just the ebony bridge.

No mention anywhere of Road Series in the description, but the photo of the sticker inside the guitar does look like it says Road series.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...pecial&index=5

Edit - for good measure, this is the Dread version as well, same price https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/...00000335259.gc

Last edited by uwmcscott; 07-05-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:41 PM

Default a thought

Looks like Martin is expanding (or has expanded) its line of solid sapele/spruce Mexican guitars beyond the Dreadnought Junior and companion 000 Junior.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:35 AM

Looks similar to the all-sapele 000-10 Road Series, but without the Sonitone MT-X pickup and tuner system.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
Looks similar to the all-sapele 000-10 Road Series, but without the Sonitone MT-X pickup and tuner system.
I would agree spec wise - with the biggest difference being an ebony board/bridge on this newer "special" model and of course spruce vs. sapele top. For someone looking for a decent all-around Martin it seems like it would fit the bill. I do have one local Martin dealer but they generally only have a few guitars in stock to play so I"ve never been able to play any 000 road series before.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:47 AM

Looks a lot like the OM1-E I used to have, minus the electronics. If so, it’s a lot of guitar for the price!
Old 07-06-2021, 08:57 AM

If you are looking for a finger picker would you get this or eastman e6om?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
If you are looking for a finger picker would you get this or eastman e6om?
Well, the Eastman is about $200 more new, but a used one is about the same price as a new Martin. Personally, I'd probably get the used Eastman for the 1.75" wide nut versus the Martin's 1.69". String spacing on both is probably similar (likely 2 5/32" for both). Or, pay the extra $200 and get a new Eastman E6-OM-TC which has the torrified spruce top.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:23 AM

I'm leery of the MIM part. The price dictates this as well. Kinda liken it to a great chef laying out all the ingredients and telling an Applebees cook to get after it. Might still be pretty good, but not near what the accomplished chef could do. Okay, now I'm hungry
Old 07-06-2021, 02:16 PM

You should try it before you buy it. These deals tend to be little more the an all solid version of the X series.

Its very cramped for finger picking imo.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
...Its very cramped for finger picking imo.
Yep, but so are the standard Martin 15's and they sure sound sweet if you can get along with the string spacing. I think this looks like a lot of guitar, spec-wise, for the money and I love short scale OOO's. The made in Mexico doesn't bother me. I do agree that it'd be nice to try first, but GC does have a heck of a return policy.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:28 PM

Go for it.

whm
Old 03-18-2022, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I just bought this GC/MF 000-10 with the SDOTD earlier this week, and it arrived today. It does not sound like a 000-18, but it’s a darned nice guitar. For $700 it’s all solid wood, ebony fingerboard and bridge, solid satin spruce top, solid saddle back and sides, and a solid neck (not layered). The Pickguard is black though, and not tortoise like in the website pictures.

It has a ton of sustain, a short scale, and I’m very tempted to throw a Baggs soundhole pickup in it and gig with it. Or keep it at the beach. It also has a nice gig bag. Real nice. If you are thinking on these, they are a fine choice for what they are. I really like the neck, and the wood fingerboard and bridge.

Honestly my Taylor AD17 is much nicer and richer, but it’s also twice the price.

I don’t know why I did this purchase. I didn’t need a guitar. I feel bad about it actually, but that’s my guilt issues. It’s a nice guitar. Great choice to gig with, or for an intermediate player, or a backup.

Have a good weekend all.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Guitar Center has some pretty nice special made guitars from time to time. Last year, I got one of their Fender American Showcase Limited Edition Telecasters. I liked it better than any of the other Teles I tried. The neck is a full 1 11/16" and the radius is 12", both of which are nicer going from acoustic. This is a GC special. It costs as much as other decent American Fender Telecasters, and the quality is the same as those.

This is the model I bought:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...dition&index=1

It came with the current Fender case for these that all such Fenders come with these days.

So Guitar Center can certainly do a good job with these specials.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-18-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuchdig View Post
I'm leery of the MIM part. The price dictates this as well. Kinda liken it to a great chef laying out all the ingredients and telling an Applebees cook to get after it. Might still be pretty good, but not near what the accomplished chef could do. Okay, now I'm hungry
OK, that's not fair. So Mexico = Applebee's and US = fine restaurant? I just bought a used Dread Jr made in Mexico and the fit/finish and setup is very good. There is no reason the QC can't be as good or better in Mexico. I'm sure these are very serviceable guitars that hit a price point that will allow some to get that Martin they have always wanted or be the festival, gigging, campfire guitar for some.

Sal, what gig bag are they shipping with these? That's my only gripe on the Dread Jr - the useless unpadded gig bag.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Steve, it’s the same 000-gig bag (semi rigid) that comes with the 000-15 Streetmaster series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E827D083-93FD-4080-8F7A-F911C9CAAD10.jpg (40.5 KB, 115 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion