The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I haven't managed to read all the responses, but what about this option: a venue "rents" space to performers - either comedians, artists, or musicians. Doesn't control what they do. They handle their own advertising. Patrons would know only that the venue has interesting artisans frequently.
If I wanted to do that I'd open a bar for my band to play at.

rct
Old 02-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
Nobody owes you a stage to perform on. It is not a right. You didn't book a gig. You didn't earn one. You don't own the venue and do all that is involved in keeping the place running. This attitude of "open stages are important to my musical development I might have quit playing if not for them" is a cop out.

If not playing an open mic is going to be what stands between you and your musical development, start your own. Rent a performance space and negotiate the licensing fees up front. Come up with a model cover those expenses. Pay to play, fundraising. patron of the arts, a club with membership dues?

Talk to the venue owner and offer to pay all the fees out of your own pocket. You'll be a local hero. Maybe you can write it off

Find someone with a huge house and just have a big jam twice a month.

If open mics are disappearing and it's that important to the community there should be a void to be filled.

Music is a powerful force and will seek it's own level. Pitting musician against musician surely isn't the answer.

There is a lot of truth in this post from Rumblefish.

It astounds me to discover how much opinion here is being put forth as the basis of justification for ignoring regulations.

I suspect there is a similar mindset as with drivers who perform the "rolling stop " because unlike other drivers they "know" they are capable of making a safe judgement about the advisability of continuing without a full stop to look in all directions before proceeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
It astounds me to discover how much opinion here is being put forth as the basis of justification for ignoring regulations.
Amy, no problem (from me) abiding by regulations. The practices I deplore are the strong arm, big legal threat to shut down venues REGARDLESS of the music being played. As someone stated, they cannot even provide original or public domain music without threat of very expensive legal action.

There should be no reason I cannot perform my own or public domain material without the ASCAP / BMI goons showing up to threaten a venue owner.

rio
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Amy, no problem (from me) abiding by regulations. The practices I deplore are the strong arm, big legal threat to shut down venues REGARDLESS of the music being played. As someone stated, they cannot even provide original or public domain music without threat of very expensive legal action.

There should be no reason I cannot perform my own or public domain material without the ASCAP / BMI goons showing up to threaten a venue owner.

rio
You can, provided the venue does not make money on the enjoyment of your music. And if you have original music that isn't copyrighted and those rights managed by one of the performance rights organizations, you might want to rethink your understandably righteous indignation. They get you paid too, among other things.

rct
Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 PM

ASCAP wanted payment from the Girl Scouts for singing around the campfire.
I kid you not.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 AM

I can see it someone is playing to say a few hundred people and it's a real concert then yes the artist should get something for there song. However I can't see charging folks playing in a coffee house to seven people. Just pure greed. How many times do they want to be paid for the same song. I'll bet as these performer's were coming up they played a lot of covers and never offered any payments.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 AM

I haven't read through all these posts. The vitriol is too much sometimes. As a restaurateur I will be sending out letters to all the artists I have promoted by playing their music all these years. I will be waiting for payment.

*Read some posts and this discussion is laughable.
It would be tough to prove "damages" from the small coffee shop that played a few cover songs.

Do some of you really want to sue Grandma over a 12 cent royalty check? She made the neighborhood cookies for all those years.

Are Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger on AGF? They probably have a legitimate gripe. Not so sure about the rest of them.

Last edited by guitargoat; 02-22-2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlueEMT View Post
ASCAP wanted payment from the Girl Scouts for singing around the campfire.
I kid you not.
And they would have got away with it too, if only it were not for those dastardly kids!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargoat View Post
I haven't read through all these posts. The vitriol is too much sometimes. As a restaurateur I will be sending out letters to all the artists I have promoted by playing their music all these years. I will be waiting for payment.

*Read some posts and this discussion is laughable.
It would be tough to prove "damages" from the small coffee shop that played a few cover songs.

Do some of you really want to sue Grandma over a 12 cent royalty check? She made the neighborhood cookies for all those years.

Are Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger on AGF? They probably have a legitimate gripe. Not so sure about the rest of them.
The damages are statutory. No need to prove them up to the amount set forth in the federal statute.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:

rio
I'm not sure which venues you're talking about, but there are certain festivals that require the artists to play either original or music in the public domain for the very reason of not being required to pay royalty fees to ASCAP or BMI.

One specific example is Kentucky Music Week. They've been doing this for years and not a single letter was sent to them as a result. Can you provide us with some specific examples of venues that abide by the regulations but, as you put it, still have the 'ASCAP / BMI goons' showing up to threaten them, even after the fact? If a venue abides by the rules, then there is no reason to fear legal action.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:39 AM

This has been an interesting read. 20 pages long, wow.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 02-22-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

The collectors from ASCAP and BMI are collection agents who get a percentage of what they collect. At times it's like a shakedown. Venues need to know their rights. Do the due diligence and find out exactly what the fees are.

A few hundred dollars a year seems like a lot, but if you charge a cover to participate it spreads the cost across.

I'd like to know how the monies are getting trickled down to artist members. Has anyone gotten a check?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
Has anyone gotten a check?
Every quarter since the beginning of 2010.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryc-k View Post
The collectors from ASCAP and BMI are collection agents who get a percentage of what they collect. At times it's like a shakedown. Venues need to know their rights. Do the due diligence and find out exactly what the fees are.

A few hundred dollars a year seems like a lot, but if you charge a cover to participate it spreads the cost across.

I'd like to know how the monies are getting trickled down to artist members. Has anyone gotten a check?
Amazingly enough, yes, as have quite a few people in here who have all patiently tried to be supportive while explaining somewhat how it works, because really, it's far beyond something you can work out at the urinal, it takes time and effort to understand it all.

But you go, all you open mic guys setting the world on fire, you go, you all seem to know so much about how it all works after what, 2, 3 times out?

rct
Old 02-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
...How many times do they want to be paid for the same song...
Apparently every time someone plays their intellectual property at a public performance. And per ASCAP, a public performance is one that occurs either in a public place where people gather (other than a small circle of a family or social acquaintances). A public performance is also one that is transmitted to the public, for example, radio or TV broadcasts, and via the Internet.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion