The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2023, 09:27 AM

Default Collings OM1A JL vs. ‘33 Martin OM18 Authentic

I’d be curious to know which one would you would choose and why? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2023, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Tone: Martin
Playability: Collings

Not a fan of 2 3/8" string spacing in any situation and the neck is also quite chunky on the Martin. The OM1JL meanwhile is kind of sterile sounding as many Collings OMs tend to be (my opinion) but you can pick from 2 different necks -- either 1 11/16 nut with 2 3/16 spacing (standard) or 1 3/4 nut with 2 5/16 spacing (Traditional series neck).

For me, the answer would be "neither."

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 12-20-2023, 10:03 AM

I would go with the Collings OM1JL. I currently own this guitar with the Sitka top, and it has the JL neck carve, 1 11/16" nut. I find the build quality and wood choice on Collings to be exceptional. They are really building guitars that are as close to perfect as humanly possible. I wouldn't call the tone "sterile", I would call it "fundamental": it is dry, woody and flat. This is what you're getting with the JL, but that's what you're paying for...it sounds as close to a very old Martin as you can get. No zing, no shimmer, no overtones - like an old Fender P-Bass with flatwounds on it. An absolute killer jazz guitar, especially for old timey jazz, and even Django style gypsy jazz. If you want that sound, which Julian Lage obviously does, then this guitar has no equal, in my opinion. It almost reminds me of a very high quality classical guitar sound; it would sound fabulous flatpicking Bach!
Old 12-20-2023, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I have not played the OM18 Authentic, but have had multiple OM-21s and an OM-28e MD fairly recently. Currently have a 000-28 Custom Authentic 1937 along with an OM1 JL (1-11/16" nut).

The OM1 JL does not sound like a typical Collings, leans much more older Martin (mahogany). I love the neck shape on the JL - but I do not like the Collings "Traditional" neck shape (1-3/4" nut, thinner at the nut, thicker at the body) nearly as much. I also didn't like the MLO or the MD neck over the long haul for different reasons - gave me hand issues.

I didn't care for the feel of the NB strings, running XS lights on the JL and like them a lot. The 000-28 is a very different guitar - sounds like rosewood and is a tad more fingerstyle-friendly. The neck on the Martin feels close to the standard Collings modified-V shape (which I also like).

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 12-20-2023, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Tone: Martin
Playability: Collings
I agree w/ Bren..

I'm a big fan of the way the Martin '33 Auth is built and in many ways I think that specific Martin does the job as JL requested (Waterloo DNA in a Collings) better than the JL model. That said, there are examples out there of the JL OM that are pretty special. I've played a few really good ones. Overall, they're very highly regarded by the Collings lovers out there. My preference is the Martin since they're warmer as more powerful (the '33 Auth was originally spec'd for 13s).
Old 12-20-2023, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I own a pre VTS OM18A and it is a great little guitar. When I got back in 2019 I noticed the warmth of the tone right away and played with picks, either flat or finger, it's a powerhouse. Never played a Collins but I have a high regard for the brand just from what I've read over the past several years in this forum.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:38 PM

I’ve preferred Martin OM’s over Collings OM’s every time I’ve the chance to make a side by side comparison. The Martins have been warmer and “sweeter” sounding while the Collingses have had an edge to the treble response that I haven’t cared for.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-21-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar01 View Post
I’d be curious to know which one would you would choose and why? Thanks!
I would delay gratification and try lots of stuff. Martins and mass produced guitars can be fantastic but they don't all have the super responsive nature the best have. When I was obsessing and shopping 10+ I found some well known smaller makers almost universally had more of their guitars that were super responsive. Just shopping with my son I found that is still the same.

The generalization of Collings brightness was something I found true just like some guitars have more of a nasal tone to me. I didn't take it as good or bad.

I owned Martins and would try Collings and what blew me away and kept me GAS-free for years is a similar Santa Cruz thus my stressing the delay gratification and try stuff. It does look like Santa Cruz prices might have climbed even with everyone's.

The other reason to try a lot is I found even the woods didn't make the differences I thought as much as an amazing individual guitar.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

My biggest concern would be that Martin doesn’t have a great track record getting good low neck relief on their fixed ebony rod authentic necks. I’ve not played the OM18A, but all of the D-1As and 00-17As (also ebony truss rods) had neck relief ranging from suboptimal to unacceptable. This is one of the few authentic models that would benefit from an adjustable truss rod—or, better yet, a proper compression fret out of the factory. That said, after a proper refret, there’s no reason it shouldn’t play perfectly.

I’m not a huge fan of the Collings guitars I’ve played and owned, but everything I’ve read about the JL is that it has its own thing going on. Not cheap, but I’d be eager to try one out if they ever came along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion