The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2001, 08:44 AM

Post What Do You Gain From "Tuning Down"?

Hi All,

Just curious about:

1. Tuning Your Stings Down a half step.
What is it that you personally gain from this when using the recommended guages?

2. What benefit do you receive by going to a heavier guage string and then backing them down a half step or two?

I've never quite understood why I would decide to do this?

Very interested in your reply.
Thanks!
-grm
Old 06-13-2001, 09:31 AM

Hmmmmm.....while not a Taylor player, many blues players such as SRV liked the tone of heavier strings, but to compensate for bending and string tension, he tuned down a half step for a little relief.

One of my electrics are tuned down a half step just to make it easier on my ears when trying to play SRV riffs and licks.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:15 PM

Mississippi John Hurt recorded "Trouble I've Had All My Days" with each string tuned down 1/2 step. My guess is that it was easier to tune down, than to try to learn the new chords. At least that's why I'd tune down 1/2 step like that.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:21 PM

Okay, one of the things you gain by going to a heavier guage and tuning down is that you get a richer, deeper sound, and you avoid the "flapping string syndrome."

ALong the same lines, if you spend most of your time in CGDGAD, for example, you would probably want to go up a few guages on your 6th string (to tighten up that low C), and possibly the 1st string (to make the high D a bit stronger sounding).

I also know that some might tune a half, or full lower to make things easier for their singing voices.

Brett
Old 06-13-2001, 11:30 PM
O'Dadgad rules.

i've noticed that whenever i've tuned my 310ce down to dadgad without putting bigger strings on it, and it sounds twice as big! well, maybe not twice, but there certainly is more of a volume change. i hear that chris proctor does the same deal....tune down the whole guitar and put heavier gauge strings on it. of course his guitar is a 12 series witha 1 7/8" 6 string neck. great for fingerpicking, and the tension on his setup is basically the same as having a set of light gauge strings tuned to standard pitch.

ira d.
The Family
The Les Paul I built

My live rig:
Mogami Gold TRS
Rane AP13
Ultrasound AG-50DS2, Fishman Loudbox
Boss RC-50
PP2+
Old 06-14-2001, 08:08 AM

Howdy,

So then if I wanted to experiment with this on my 810B, I understand I should install a heavy set and tune down a half or maybe a whole step, then capo on 1 or 2 for standard tuning?

That means I'd just tune the 6th string to E-flat or D, and go from there I guess.

Has anyone tried this on an 810 model?

Thanks,
Grm
Old 06-14-2001, 08:20 AM

Hi Grm,

Do you use medium gauge on your 810 now? If so I would not put a heavier gauge on to just tune down a 1/2 or whole step.

I have a 310-mce that I tune down 1/2 or a whole step and mediums do just fine. I think a heavier gauge may apply to much stress to the top.

If you plan on tuning to C or C# than I think a heavier gauge would be cool.

Just my two cents.

Also, if you want to hear some really cool tuned down playing pick up Leo Kottke's One Guitar no Vocals album. Very cool stuff.

Later,
Erm

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: Erm ]
Old 06-14-2001, 01:20 PM

Hi ERM,

Yes, sir, I do use medium strings on my 810B.
I'm using the D'Addario Coated right now and I do like them.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still trying to get a good feel why I would wish to do this as I can be kinda thick-headed sometimes before some things sink in, or that provervial Light turns on.

Later,
grm
Old 06-14-2001, 01:31 PM

Hi grm,

I have an 810 and have kept it tuned down a 1/2 step ever since I got my DDSM. Bluegrass Elixir's work well for me; they're a mix of mediums and lights. If I was only strumming I'd go with a standard set of mediums, but I do fingerstyle on this guitar as well, so I like the lighter tops. It sounds great tuned this way-much fuller and more "complete" sounding than in standard tuning. If I need standard, I just throw a capo on the first fret and I'm ready to go. Hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion