The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Default What next guitar-wise?

Since my improvement is fairly rapid over the past two months, I've decided to treat myself to a new guitar come the New Year. I miss my 00-15 Martin terribly, mostly it's the smell and tone of the mahogany I miss, but I'm very comfortable with the size of a dreadnaught now, so I'm leaning toward a mahogany dread.

I'm aware of the Martin D-15, and it looks to be a sweet guitar. I want a guitar that's versatile, one I can strum as well as fingerstyle.

Doesn't have to be all mahogany, spruce top would be fine. As always, your suggestions are appreciated. I am not terribly interested in Taylors, since the ones I've sampled just don't marry well with my voice.

Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Sounds like you kinda want a Martin again. Nothing wrong with that!

I'm sure others will have suggestions for you, I'm just curious why you're thinking maybe not a Martin if that's what you had and what you miss?

Is it price, or just wanting to see what else is out there, or ...?
That may help folks help you.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Oh man, there are just SOOOO many guitars out there! Personally, for dreads, I like the slope shoulders. I have a Gibson AJ (spruce, rosewood). The J45 and J35 Gibsons I believe are mostly Mahogany back and sides, although there are some variations. I also have a Martin OM-28V (rosewood b/s), but I find myself playing the AJ so much more.

Have fun searching! I'm sure you'll get LOTS of advice here!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:17 PM

Price is not really an issue, although I'd like to keep it under 2k. Funny, after writing this post I wondered why I was even asking about things other than a Martin since I miss my Martin so much. Guess I just want to expand my guitar knowledge.

That D-17M is a fine looking guitar, gonna go test play that and a D15 tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Guest316

Well, like pete12string said, there are a lot of choices! I agree that it looks like you have your heart set on the Martin. Go ahead and "git" it! It's almost impossible to lose if you go the "Back Home to Martin" route.

If you're interested in other makes, as the official voice of one crying in the wilderness, I would recommend a look at my main squeeze the Gibson Hummingbird Pro. It's Sitka over Mahogany, has "the smell", and has a powerful Mahogany midrange. Try one out.

But, again, it sounds like your heart longs for the Martin . . .
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Hmm, a friend of mine and I are headed to the Gibson factory in Montana in three weeks, be a good time to check out that option.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 AM

Martin D-17M

Hog back and sides with spruce top. It really is an awesome guitar. Iv only ever played 2 but they were both awesome. I sold mine towards the purchase of my D-45 but if I would have had the money I would have kept it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion