The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 AM

Default [Deleted Thread]

[Deleted Thread]

Last edited by Guest 4711; 12-24-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Musical minimalist

homemade "soapbox" humidifier with GOOD quality sponges, not those cheap synthetic kind. Put one in the case pocket and one under the headstock.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Hygrometers are extremely unnaccurate!

I own 3, two digital of different brands, and one very expensive analog that you hang on the wall. There is a 20% difference between the highest and lowest readings. The expensive "certified" analog appears to be the furthest off!

You didn't mention how long you have been using the humidifier. It can take several days to bring the humidity up in your guitar case, particularly if your guitar is "thirsty". If your humidifier is the kind that you wet a sponge, pay attention to it and keep it moist, as this kind does not hold much moisture and can dry out very quickly.

I would recommend putting an additional humidifier in the case until the humidity level has a chance to stabilize. You can spend money or make your own. Several threads on AGF describe how to "do it yourself".

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:19 AM

I've found that if I put my hygrometer inside the guitar, and not right next to the humidifyer I get a much higher reading than having the hygrometer say in the area of the case where the heel of the neck of the guitar is. If it's placed there 35% is good.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson View Post
So I purchased my new humidifier to put in the soundhole of the guitar. But when I check the hygrometer I put inside the case, it still shows 36% as it did before... Any tips to raise it even more as 36% is extremely low.
Hi Ryan...

If you put a humidifier in the box via the soundhole, it's going to be higher than 36% very quickly.

Your case hygrometer is measuring an average of what moisture is drifting out of the box and then infiltrating the case.

I'd not worry a bit. Your box is safe...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion