The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2001, 12:45 PM

Question Warranty card?

OK, perhaps a dumb question:

Now that I'm a proud bona fide Taylor owner, should I send in the warranty registration? I understand it's NOT required in order to get warranty work done. Are there any other pro/con reasons?

I s'pose I would have sent it in without thinking, except that I've become confused by browsing ebay. Many of the Taylors for re-sale there make a point of having an "unsigned warranty card", I guess implying that the buyer can register and be covered under warranty. Yet the warranty is only for the original owner, non-transferable, right?

Am I missing something? Will I miss something (besides Wood & Steel) if I don't register?

~ Paul

(PS - played my new 714 thru the church mixer last night for the first time, and it was sweeeeet! Don't want to be all business here! )

[ 04-27-2001: Message edited by: PaulLePine ]
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 04-27-2001, 02:07 PM

Hey Paul,

My understanding is the warranty is not transferable and having an unfilled card does not make a used guitar worth more. I've seen many used Taylor's with an unfilled card but I always thought that was ridiculous because it's no good.

It's been so long since I filled mine out but don't you need to list what dealer you bought it from? I imagine if you bought a used axe and wrote down a person's name it would not get far at Taylor....

I would send it in, I don't think is does anyone else any good to keep it.

Just my thoughts, maybe others have first hand experience....

Later,
Erm
Old 04-27-2001, 02:46 PM
Jim

The card is NOT a warranty card and so far as the warranty goes, it makes no difference if it has been sent in or not. If you read it again you will see that it's an "owner's registration" card. Your actual warranty is your original receipt or other proof of purchase of a new, previously unsold Taylor from an authorized Taylor dealer. If they are not a current authorized Taylor dealer or if it is previously owned, it has no warranty.

Those guys on Ebay (and I've noticed some on the For Sale section of this forum) either do not know this or are deliberately misrepresenting their guitars in hopes that an uninformed person will believe them long enough to buy their guitar at an inflated price. To me, the lifetime warranty is a valuable part of a new Taylor and I am happy to pay the fuller prices to buy new Taylors from authorized Taylor dealers to get it.

The following is from the Taylor website,

"With the exception of those limited-edition guitars for which a one-time transfer of ownership is explicitly written into the Certificate of Authenticity, an actual Taylor warranty is not transferable from the original owner to a subsequent owner, and does not cover Taylor guitars purchased outside the US or Canada, where Taylor distributors assume responsibility for
repairs and service."
Old 04-28-2001, 03:14 AM

This is something i've been wondering about as well and after reading the registration card closer, it makes sense that Taylor has covered their bases regarding owner transfer voiding the warranty. I would assume Taylor would do the neccesary validation before proceeding with warranty service and running the serial number would provide them about all the info they would need to either proceed with or deny a warranty claim. I guess the warranty becomes effective once you've taken delivery; a blank card just means you'll be denying yourself some of the perks of owning a Taylor such as receiving Wood and Steel.
As well, a few months ago Taylor started retro-active coverage of any Taylor sold past or present in Canada and is mentioned in the revised warranty/registration card I received with my 2001 510c. I guess its time for me to send in that registration card

Derek

14fret 0
12fret 000

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion