The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 AM

Default NGD Taylor 614ce

Bought it this morning from the North American Guitar London. Took my Avian in for a set up/pick up check, and found this beauty in my hands. Ben - the owner - took time out and left me to noodle until it won me over. All I can say the shop is great, well stocked, relaxed and (unlike Denmark St) no hard sell! I had no intention of buying, but once in a while you play something that you can't put down. I know from bitter experience that walking away can lead to years of regret (Martin Babyface, 2002)
The maple/sitka spruce combo gives a clear but surprisingly warm sound across the range, with depth and plenty of sustain. Its easy to be cynical about Taylor, but this is a fine guitar, full of personality and response. Really happy.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations & Enjoy your new Taylor 614ce! I love mine and you're correct about the tone of Taylor's new maples including the 614ce--Taylor has redefined what maple can do.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Congratulations! The 614 is a fine instrument. The newer configuration is a bit of a departure from previous iterations and probably one of the best all-around guitars out there. I think I've only seen three units of the new 614's since they were released in 2015. IMO the low availability tells me that they were under-ordered and don't hang in the stores very long.

FWIW, maple takes a bit longer to break in and open up than rosewood or mahogany. Perhaps that's one reason that Taylor went to the torrified tops on the 600 series, to dry the lignin and help move the maturity along where they could. I suspect that if you like your 614 now, you'll love it after it's been played a couple hundred hours.

Again, congratulations!
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion