The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2021, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Straight Up Strings (SUS) 2nd demo

This time I put a set of the light Straight Up Strings on my Avalon. The demo has a capo on 5 and the strings hold up pretty well on this guitar considering the size of it. I recorded this demo with just the Zoom H5 mics so it isn't as crisp sounding as the demo with the Furch I did last week.

It's hard to really keep track of string tone, but because I play capo'd up 90% of the time it seems to me that medium gauge strings don't really sound the best at higher capo positions, especially that 56 6th string. I think the lighter gauge strings might vibrate better when capo'd high than heavier gauges. (I play finger style with flesh only). At least I'm not pulling the light gauge all over the fretboard so I relieved about that.

Demo 2 (DADF#AD tuning, 5th fret):

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 12-06-2021, 12:20 AM

Wonderful playing, Those SUS sound great and have become some of my favorites,
Old 12-06-2021, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

How do you feel about the longevity of the SUS?

I have the lights on mine for about 3 months I think? But I am a beginner and only play the acoustic Friday-Sunday (electric with headphones otherwise) for a few hours max each day. I can’t say I play aggressively yet. A lot is slow practice.

The G and B strings are really starting to sound dull already. I would have expected a bit longer.

I like them a lot otherwise. This is my first set and I think I have mediums next, I was hoping to get another few months out of them (and my fingers) before moving up.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:43 AM

Lovely playing and sound. I just tried a set of SUS lights on my Lowden and they were lovely, but I slightly prefer his mediums. I don't find it helpful that he calls the 11's light and the 12's medium, as most other manufacturers I know call 12's lights and 13 mediums (which, of course, he calls heavy). But aside from the nomenclature, I love the strings.

The 11's had a bit more chime (if you will) in the upper register, and I found them lovely with capo 5. It really was a difficult decision, but I just ordered 6 sets of the 12's, so I'm good for a while as they have great longevity.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion