The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Does anyone record themselves periodically?

I have an interface that allows me to connect a guitar with a pickup to my trusty iPad.

It occurs to me that when I'm working on a song that recording it periodically might help me track my progress.

That's probably more accurate than watching how much my wife cringes when I play

Is that something others do?
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Actually that's the reason i purchased my first interface / software set-up that i'm just literally learning how to use this week. I just bought (albeit a fairly mid level starter piece) the Presonus Audiobox 44vsl. For this reason and some other misc recording applications for my DJ biz, recording my wife (who is a phenominal singer...10x the singer i am a guitarist even though i've played 30+ yrs). Not as difficult as say Pro tools but definitely )I'm told) a better unit piece than say garage band.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:12 AM

Yes, by all means. Listening to yourself played back is quite informative and will let you know what you need to work on.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM

I just use a cheap digital recorder. It's good enough to quickly record something and immediately play it back.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Recording yourself then listening back critically is one of the best ways to improve, in my opinion - not worrying about the quality of the recording, but concentrating on the playing. It actually works best if you do it often - you'll be used to it and not in 'performance' mode as soon as that red recording light comes on.

Videoing yourself is the ultimate for sharpening your technique... Absolutely nowhere to hide!

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Yes. I love recording. I find it helps with vocals the most.

Be careful though, recording can become somewhat addictive as well. Gear buying can get near GAS level. I sometimes think I missed my calling as a studio tech. I dig it a lot. I have had the chance to work on a couple small time albums in the past and have really enjoyed it.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 PM

Yep, I have ProTools and some good gear (channel strips/microphones) but rather than fire all that up my go to is a Zoom H4n for "ideas" and quick recordings, I use it a LOT !~!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram Slides View Post
Recording yourself then listening back critically is one of the best ways to improve, in my opinion - not worrying about the quality of the recording, but concentrating on the playing. It actually works best if you do it often - you'll be used to it and not in 'performance' mode as soon as that red recording light comes on.

Videoing yourself is the ultimate for sharpening your technique... Absolutely nowhere to hide!
I recently wrote the following reply in another thread, so to quote myself:

I have done a few open mics, but I'm pretty rubbish and not ready to commit to the immortality of publishing my attempts on line.
I am not shy, but performing for civilians is a whole new discipline, compared to mucking about with your playing buddies, which I have done for years.
Main difference for me is you can't just stop dead without warning and swig a beer or whatever. You always have to see it thru'. Not my strong suite.

In that other thread about showing pics of yourself with your guitar, I got my friend to quickly snap that pic of me with her little cam.
It was honestly the first new one I'd looked at for a long time. (I am NOT a selfie kinda guy and my 'phone is very dumb.)

Then I got her to film me playing a couple of songs to see how I might appear/sound to others.

What a cruel and frightening educational tool the video camera is !

The first thing I wonder is: "When did I get so old and ugly ?"

"Why am I closing my eyes/doing some kinda "guitar face"?" is another.

"It's a simple C to G ,,, so why did I play a bloody Em there fer Gaw'sake ??!!" is another common one.

I did spot someone filming at an o.m I did recently, but I think he may have been working for the benefits agency !

So, since then , I have acquired a cheap little video cam and intend to use it to try and improve my performance.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:24 PM

I find it tremendously informative. Sometimes there are certain passages I THINK I'm struggling with - until I listen to a recording and discovere that those parts sound fine - and that some other part of the piece is actually where I need to improve.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Yep ... I do it almost every week ... especially if working on something new. I got my hand held digital recorder just for that. Other than a teacher, you will be the most critical listener for your playing/music ... and this is why listening to recordings of yourself can really help progress.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:27 PM

All the time. I record quite a few of my practices, it is easier to hear the small mistakes in timing when listening to the playback. I am trying to convince my band that we need to record all of our practices so we can have an objective measure of our progress.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM

All the time...I use a Zoom H2 and sometimes my Digitech JamMan Looper

Russ
Eastman E10 D
Eastman AC 420
Eastman 515 mandolin
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Eric Skye

I us my iPhone to make a quick and dirty recording of my playing every single day. Usually just a ninety minute sample of my practice, because that's the leagth of my daily workout/walk.

So every morning I listen to the previous days sample (usually the set for whatever gig or project is next on the calendar) with headphones during the aforementioned walk, and will dictate back into my phone whatever observations I make in the moment. Then print them up on a piece of paper that I have with my the next day for practice..

So for example this morning, I ended up with ten short sentences on a piece of paper. Usually it's about tempo, rushing, sloppy parts, but also it can be about arrangements, etc...

If you're serious about moving the ball down the field, I really can't think of anything remotely as valuable.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:08 PM

I try and record myself at least once a week playing and singing. I've found it has helped to improve my singing voice a lot. Still working up to my first OM to sing at. I've played at several and play on our Praise team but have never sang in front of people before.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Everyday....... I can't play in front of others so I record to see how I sound or working a line.

AK

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion