The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM

Default Random thoughts from a fun picking party

The local watering hole had their monthly ‘picking party’ last night. As always, I’m amazed by the talent that shows up. These guys and gals are all SOOO good that it’s humbling and intimidating for a beginner like me. Some highlights from the evening:

A woman started playing her guitar next to me but realized it was way out of tune and was pretty upset about it. I offered my Snark but she said she didn’t know how to tune a guitar and asked if I would do it. Of course, I gladly helped and was thinking to myself that I’m glad there was finally someone else there at my skill level. As the songs kept going around the circle, she and her friend/sister kept passing. Eventually, they said they would lead a song. Turns out, the two of them had BEAUTIFUL singing voices and harmonized incredibly well. It was the surprise of the evening!

Another guy asked me what my Martin was because he couldn’t figure it out. (It’s a 1998 000C-1E.) He sold Martins for years and owned about 15 or so. I mentioned that someday, I wanted to upgrade to one of the standard models but I hadn’t convinced myself to spend the money. He launched into sales pitch mode and told me all the reasons why it was worth it. He then asked if he could play my guitar for a song. At the end, he handed it back and said, “Uh, that sounds and plays far better than I expected. You should definitely hang on to that one.” It made me feel good.

Most of the songs that are played are traditional songs that most everyone knows and the lead is passed around to the various dobros, fiddles, banjos, mandolins, etc. We also have a guy that plays a cajon and he just keeps a steady beat for all the songs. I decided to give him a bit more spotlight and lead the Avett Brothers song “Kickdrum Heart.” Though he had never heard the song before, we worked it out and by the second chorus, he was truly having a ball with the 'drum solo.' His family was there and all got a big kick out of that.

As always, it was a great night and I learned a lot.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 AM

That sounds like something I'd love to be a part of!

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 05-13-2016, 08:36 AM

Does sound like a load of fun, if you know the common tunes.

Where there any NON Martin guitars there ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 05-13-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Does sound like a load of fun, if you know the common tunes.

Where there any NON Martin guitars there ?
Well, I don't know most of the tunes they play but I just follow along the best I can. I work on different fingerings of the common chords, work on transitions, step-ups, step-downs, things like that. In general, I just try to learn and stay out of the way. And they don't know the songs I play so they just do the best they can to follow along. Of course, they're all better at it than me.

Actually, most of the guitars were not martins. Other than my Martin, there was only one other. There was an Art & Lutherie, an Ovation, a Taylor, several Alverez's, and other's that I can't really remember but they were not martins.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Actually, most of the guitars were not martins.
SHOCKING !!

In a good way. It seems that it would be more fun, without having to check your headstock logo before you get let in.

After 30+ years, I am just learning to play with others. Fun and scary at the same time.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 05-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Those 1 series Martins are a sleeper if there ever was a sleeper. Solid back, lam sides, solid top. What's not to love?

I bet people would be surprised at how good my Road series M's are with lam backs. Every bit as good as the Taylors that get so much love around here. To me they are better.

I have played guitar for more than 30 years and I have never been to a jam session. I have played with very few people and only a couple that were way better than me. One day when I retire, which will be soon, I am going to focus on playing with other people more. While I am fairly outgoing, I am very reserved around strangers.

Glad you had a good time. Sounds like fun.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:06 AM

Sounds like so much fun; How did you find this picking party?

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
Sounds like so much fun; How did you find this picking party?
I just happened to see a flyer one night when we went to eat dinner there. Now that I'm getting more contacts, I'm find more semi-local places.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
SHOCKING !!

In a good way. It seems that it would be more fun, without having to check your headstock logo before you get let in.

After 30+ years, I am just learning to play with others. Fun and scary at the same time.
As a side note, I have never, ever heard or heard of an instance where anyone cared what name was on someone else's headstock. Well, you hear people typing that on an internet forum but I mean in real life.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:17 AM

I really like reading about your different experiences playing out. I think it's great that you made an opportunity for the cajon player to stand out. My jam has a tambourine player sometimes, and she does get offered, and takes, leads/solos/whatever one calls it.

I've been playing over a year but my main buddy at the jam is someone who's been playing about 2 months. I know a lot more chords, but he played an instrument growing up so we're on a similar level musically and one of us, but seldom both, seem to understand what's going on in a confusing situation

Folking around on guitar since January 2015
Old 05-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Hi RedJoker,

Wow, that really sounds like a fun time. Glad you enjoyed it!

- Glenn
Old 05-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
As a side note, I have never, ever heard or heard of an instance where anyone cared what name was on someone else's headstock. Well, you hear people typing that on an internet forum but I mean in real life.
^^^Yes, this.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Loved to be involved in something like that. Every one that I've ever found, the doors have been closed very tight.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion