The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2016, 09:16 PM

Default Yamaha GL1 or Johnson LG-TR2?

Hi folks,

This is my first post. Glad to meet you.

My return period on the Yamaha guitalele I purchased is still running and I'm having some doubts. It fits my price category for a travel guitar (around $100) and it has a decent sound for its size. If I keep it, I would want to put on high-tension strings, retune it in E and sand down the saddle and nut. The problem I have, though, is the fret width. Playing a basic "A" chord is a challenge to get 3 fingers onto one fret.

The Johnson also falls in my price category and I've heard decent things about it. I'm looking for suggestions from people who have played either or both, or know someone who has, and can tell me whether the Johnson is more playable -- meaning, is the fret width on the first 4-5 frets closer to the standard 6-string guitar.

Any other comments about either of these (admittedly cheap) travel guitars would be welcome.

Thank you! It's good to be part of this community.

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 PM

Default Any word on SX Trav 1 or Applecreek travel guitars?

No response so far on my Johnson JG-TR2 versus Yamaha Guitalele question. I'm adding two more inexpensive travel guitars to the mix:

The Applecreek ACG10EK

The SX Trav 1 (available through Rondo Music)

The SX is around $125, the Applecreek about $110. YouTube videos of both sound pretty good, with the SX sounding more full and warm and the Applecreek more like a banjo (not necessarily a bad thing).

Again, I value your suggestions, whatever they may be.

Thanks, everyone!

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion