The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2016, 07:19 AM

Dings are one thing, usually the result of an accident.

"Normal scratches from play-wear" are a funny one. I have bought all my guitars used.
I do have to wonder about the technique of some of the previous owners of some of them...

Both of my Martin dreads have the fine scratches straight up and down above and below and forward of the sound holes, (only visible upon close inspection.)
I have Taylor 312 that has been almost "Triggered" around the lower quadrant of the sound hole, chewed thru to the wood.

I am a very mediocre player, (and often play worse for drink etc.) but whether strumming or picking I don't think I hit the top, ever.

Am I doing it wrong ?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:24 AM

I u$ually charge extra for ding$. They don't come ea$y, ya know.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:41 AM

What's a ding worth?
The other half of a dong?
Honestly, if you're talking about a guitar with some serious age on it (25 years or more), finding a guitar with no dings on it is next to impossible.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:11 AM

Personally I love the look of an old road worn guitar with it's finish dulled from years of who knows what. The yellowed Nitro, and the battle scars, almost make a guitar worth MORE to me, certainly not less.

however, I doubt all that would have the same a appeal on a newer guitar. Im not really sure where exactly I would draw the line between patina and just plain damage. Maybe around the 20-30 year mark?

All of it is better than paying extra for a relic'd guitar though. That makes no sense. IMHO

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion