The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM

From a buyer's perspective, a couple of small dings wouldn't affect my notion of the market value of the guitar. I might use them as a negotiation point, but my bottom line answer is "not much."
Old 05-12-2016, 01:28 PM

As someone who recently bought a used guitar, dings - not too much, but a crack (even repaired,) it matters a lot! (at least to me.) You can tell me "well-repaired," but that's in YOUR opinion. If I am buying, expect to take a big hit.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 PM

This ding is worth a few thousand

Old 05-12-2016, 02:33 PM

So, this is just me, but when I scan eBay and the seller says there's a ding or scratch, my mind expects about $150 off a used $1,800 or so guitar in otherwise excellent condition. So that makes it about 8% drop.

And by ding, I mean something that breaks the top finish that my eye will invariably catch every time I pick up the guitar. Bottom, side or neck dings don't seem to bother me. I suppose that discount shrinks when the guitar is over 10 years old or so.

The main issue for me really is if I decide to sell it I'll run up the simple fact that, to me, a guitar with dings is not worth as much as the exact guitar with an unblemished top.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
As someone who recently bought a used guitar, dings - not too much, but a crack (even repaired,) it matters a lot! (at least to me.) You can tell me "well-repaired," but that's in YOUR opinion. If I am buying, expect to take a big hit.
you have taken yourself out of consideration of ever owning a vintage guitar. Or you could look at it like you are buying a pre-vintage guitar and go ahead and buy that repaired cracked guitar now and save yourself a bundle of money by buying pre-vintage.

I wonder if people look at it that way when they buy a used car? Nope, it has been in the shop. (cars cost a lot more than guitars do and in a few years they are worth 25% of what they cost new even if they have never been in an accident or had any repairs)
Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM

No difference, not an issue.

You'll ask a price, and someone will quibble about it regardless. Then it's up to you to accept, negotiate, or walk away. The ding just doesn't matter.

If you buy a new guitar, and sell it the next day, the depreciation will far outweigh any decrement due to dings.

George
Old 05-12-2016, 07:52 PM

Default Nope, just bought a vintage

I just bought a 1967 Gibson CO, couple dings but no cracks. I am just careful, seen too many cracks apparently repaired with superglue.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 PM

I think the value of a ding deteriorates over time. When it happens within the first few weeks it'll probably cost you around 35% resale value.
However as the guitar gets older dings become more normal on guitars of simmilar age. When a guitar is played these things are simply inevitable, so if you had a ding within the first few weeks, others (perhaps around 50 % of all guitarists) will suffer a ding with 6 months or so.

Within a year almost 90% of all guitarists will have suffered a ding on their expensive instruments and after a few years only 5% may still have an unblemished guitar (that is besides polishing scratches and such).

After 10 years the damage often gets more severe, bits of lacquer may have come off because of accidental contact with a microphone stand or a mother in law. The influence of humidity changes becomes more appearent and in the worst case scenario some guitars get trampled by hordes of fans, not leaving much to sell.

I think the above is a pretty good ruler estimation for how a guitar devaluates over time, but it doesn't take into account any appreciation in value due to vintageness or highly sought after instruments.

Market value of a guitar at any moment is what the buyer is willing to pay for it and may not reflect the true value of the instrument, or the sellers idea of it's true value.

Von Beerhofen
Old 05-12-2016, 08:20 PM

If I discounted dings on my best instruments, I'd be paying someone to take it. Any played instrument several years old or more, wI'll have some minor dings. Now major dings you can see from a few feet, that might be different.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 PM

I will wager that if you list the guitar at the same price as one without dings, and you mention the dings. Not a single person will pay your asking price, all will request a discount for the dings.
Dan
Old 05-13-2016, 12:02 AM

If I tell you all one of my guitars is 5 years old and still completely ding free I just know what will happen.
So I won't..... but it is.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-13-2016, 05:07 AM

Thanks for so many opinions. The ding is minor. Only visible when light reflects off guitar. I'm going take the advice of 1/2 of list price or $1900. Now let me figure how to post a picture on AGF.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchpkr View Post
Thanks for so many opinions. The ding is minor. Only visible when light reflects off guitar. I'm going take the advice of 1/2 of list price or $1900. Now let me figure how to post a picture on AGF.
Remember to upgrade to a Charter Membership so you can post your guitar for sale on the AGF.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchpkr View Post
I listed my HD for 1700 and had 3 offers. 1,000, 1350, and something else I can't recall now. Not one ding on it,(fingers crossed), it does have the typical fine scratch here and there. There are a lot of HD's for sale and from what I see the average is around 2 to 21 asking price.

Be prepared for low ballers, and be prepared that it might take a while to sell. But it will sell. If the ding is as described I wouldn't let that factor into the offers I received or what I sold it for. It should be a non issue.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 AM

A ding = $100.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion