The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2016, 06:28 AM

Default What's a ding worth?

I'm thinking of selling my 2014 Martin HD28. Since getting a 000-15m that's more to my liking, and have an eye set on a M36. There are 2 small dimple dings in the top of the guitar between the bridge and end pin. How much of a discount should this be in an asking price. Otherwise it plays/sounds beautiful. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 AM

Tough call. To the seller a ding is not worth that much to a buyer it's worth a fortune

In reality if it's not structural then it's not worth that much but really it depends on the person. Start your asking price a bit higher and they will use the dings as an excuse to go lower and hopefully you will get what you really wanted out of it.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

There is a price difference with dings and without but it really depends on the value the buyer and seller set on them. It also depends on the severity.

I don't think there is a set ding value. Are you talking about the HD or M36? If it's the HD depending on the severity I might discount it 50 if it's your average run of the mill ding, if it's more severe a 100 maybe?? The more you have the more it also discounts it. IMO
Old 05-12-2016, 07:06 AM

Oh I meant to say that ultimately the reduction in price due to ding is a compromise between the buyer and seller over the cost of the repair. So if you get a repair cost estimate then you can maybe split the difference or offer a 60/40 reduction or something like that. I would not reduce it in price for the full cost of the repair though because the buyer most likely will just leave the dings in it anyway.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 AM

I have been weighing that myself. I have a ding on one of my guitars that will cost $75 to repair but not sure if I would get that back if I were to sell.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Don't we kind of expect a ding here or there on a used guitar? Like I said it probably devalues it some, but if they aren't severe I don't think the ding devalues it by what some people may want, if they are the buyer.

In reality a used guitar that is pristine is worth close to what a new one is minus what value people may put on the warranty, if one exists. I know us buyers may not think so, but us sellers do. Of course this also depends on play wear if any exists.

The only thing a seller can do is set a price that will allow them to say goodbye and don't come down from that bottom price. Start at least a 100 bucks more and see where you end up.

I know I price guitars on a price that I am willing to say goodbye, and then I add shipping and then I add barter room. But I will not go down any more than what I want in my pocket after shipping, if I have to ship. It costs money to pack and ship a guitar.

I also think as buyers we sometimes want the seller to take the hit on shipping fees because that's what dealers make us think is going on, but in reality we are paying for the shipping because it's built into the price in most cases.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Hard to determine what individual scratches, dings, etc are worth to a potential buyer. Having bought and sold a fair number of guitars the last couple of years, if you do some research into comparable models and price it in the range of others (the quicker you want to sell, the lower in the range), and allow price flexibility for counter offers, the scratches and dings likely won't matter, as long as you are forthcoming about them and have good photos. There are a pile of HD28s out there for sale right now and not moving (as well as every other guitar ) so setting your price right is important if you want to sell in a timely manner...
Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Don't we kind of expect a ding here or there on a used guitar?
^^This!^^

I would suggest listing the guitar at 50% of current list, point out the dings, and see what happens.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 AM

A pristine used guitar would make me wonder why it had never been played.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:23 AM

Remember, if you're selling it is patina. When you're buying it is a ding.

Seriously, I think it depends on the extent of the damage. If it truly is a small ding or scratch, I don't pay a lot of attention if I like the way the guitar sounds and feels. If it is major damage (let's say "DENT" instead of ding) then it depends on how much i like the instrument vs. what the seller is asking.

I've bought a couple guitars used that had some dings or scratches. I always looked at it like "well, I won't have to worry about the first ding". Sometimes any guitar will lose a fight with a mic stand or a music stand. (or even the corner of a sliding under-desk keyboard tray - don't ask how I know these things). Stuff like that happens but if the guitar is being sold to a musician and it has a great feel and tone, the dings do impact price some but not a lot. 10% maybe but that is a 'gut feel' from the buyer's side.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchpkr View Post
I'm thinking of selling my 2014 Martin HD28. Since getting a 000-15m that's more to my liking, and have an eye set on a M36. There are 2 small dimple dings in the top of the guitar between the bridge and end pin. How much of a discount should this be in an asking price. Otherwise it plays/sounds beautiful. Thanks for your opinions.
It should not matter one bit to the perhaps 50% of the buyers that would consider it Patina, Mojo, or Character.
I would really be interested in how many potential buyers ignore the dings. My guess NONE will ignore them.
If they do it themselves, to their own guitar, they claim, "Oh it doesn't matter it's just adds character". UNLESS of course you are buying that same guitar. Then it becomes an issue.
Advertise it at the same price one would sell for without thew dings and see what happens. Don't forget to show the dings and mention them.

JMHO

Dan
Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 AM

Guitars get dings. A pristine guitar might command a premium, but a used guitar with minor dings shouldn't incur discounts.

Some folks price their used, dinged guitars at a premium price; so it's certainly something worth haggling over in that case...
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 AM

Could you show a picture showing the dings and people could give a better idea of how bad it really is.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 AM

how it sounds SHOULD be the prevailing factor, but, as we all know, looks mean a lot. just be up front with pictures, and, depending on how big the dings are, you may or may not need to lower your price. since you'll provide a trial period, the seller will indicate that they value the dings vs the sound and let you know.

good luck.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-12-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
A pristine used guitar would make me wonder why it had never been played.
This, ^^^ and anyway, I'm a busy man, I haven't got all day to sit around dinging my own guitars, I always like to buy them ready dung, saves me a job.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion