The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Some bluegrass, aggressive strumming of classic rock and church music, and some fingerpicking like Dust in the Wind and others. I'll also capo the neck at the 2nd and 3rd to get a sense if the guitar gets thin sounding when capoed. This diversity allows me to quickly assess what kind of an 'all-arounder' the guitar is likely to be. If it is weak in one area, I can then more easily decide if it can compete with something else in my stable that covers the same ground. But typically I like every guitar I buy to be as versatile in all styles as possible.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 AM

I usually play "Blackbird" or "You and Your Sister" (by the late great Chris Bell) to see how the guitar sounds with fingerpicking. For strumming, it's usually "Tell Me Why" by Neil Young. I kinda chuckled about what people must have thought when I was auditioning OM's when I bought my OM-28 or dreadnaughts when I bought my HD-28. I was at Elderly Instruments both times going from guitar to guitar playing the exact same thing over and over. "Is that all he knows?"
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

At this point in time because I want something on the mellow side I will play E A7 B7 with blues licks overlayed.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:36 AM

In a word: everything. I play it soft, loud, high and low. I do some finger picking. I flat pick a few chords - although I have yet to find a high rent guitar that can't handle that. I play some very fast things to see how that works/feels.

I also finger pick chords with a descending chromatic bass line to see what happens when I get to the Ab on the 6th string. On many smaller bodies I find the lack of resonance/volume disturbing.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-12-2016, 02:53 PM

I like to play tunes in all the significant guitar keys...C,D,E,G,A. That usually manages to get me around most of the fretboard.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:26 PM

Elton John's Funeral For A Friend. It tasks the neck's playability and intonation. These days, though, it's rare I'll actually touch a guitar at a store. I'm pretty set with what I already have. I'm there usually just to buy strings.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 PM

I'll play some Travis style picking, followed by some melodic finger style to see what the guitar likes. Even if I hate the guitar, I'll try some Blues, flatpicking, etc. to see if something hits my tastes. I remember years ago, playing a guitar that I absolutely hated, I found a style of music that made the guitar okay.

As an aside, I like my guitars to excel in different areas and not sound the same. Although, all my guitars have fat trebles, good response and great playability.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 PM

I test intonation, play simple scales throughout the fretboard, checking sustain. I usually play some small tunes that I wrote, both for fingerstyle and flatpick.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 PM

After checking intonation and playability up the neck if I really like the guitar I have the salesman or a friend play the guitar and I walk out front to listen.

Then if I am still liking the guitar and it has electronics, I'll plug it in. Then I decide if it comes home with me.

guitars? yep still have some
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 PM

I like to play the same thing, usually fingerpicking on the guitars I'm trying to see if a I can hear any differences.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:52 AM

Stairway To Heaven

and I don't care one bit how that has become a joke

I still do it every time anyway.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Stairway To Heaven

Well said AE ! I'm a staunch "Smoke on the Water" man m'self.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Stairway To Heaven

Thanks for keeping it alive. We need you folks so we can keep the joke alive.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I also usually play whatever I am working on at the moment. But I do have a few favorite chord sequences that go up the neck that I always like to try out on any guitar that I play. It is a good way for me to hear in short order how both the bass and trebles respond what kind of dynamics I can pull. Of course, it is best if I have a friend with me who plays the guitar better than I do. I think that my lack of technique and playing skills do not always reflect how good the guitar may actually be.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-13-2016, 10:33 AM

I usually do the riff from the U2 song "In A Little While", and then I'll do C-Em strumming with hammer-ons. I also just strum whatever chords come to mind and do a tiny bit of scales. Also depends what I've been playing or working on recently.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion