The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 08:28 AM

Default Advice on buying a Gibson J-45

(apologies for wall of text)

I'm going to be getting a Gibson J-45 within the next year as a graduation gift (lucky me!). I'm having a tough time deciding which model I should go for, or whether I should try finding a used one.

If I'm going with a new guitar, then it's essentially between the J45 Standard and the J45 True Vintage.

The issue is mostly cosmetic (I know, slaughter me). In general I've played more J45 standards that I've liked than J45 TVs (although I haven't had a chance to play any 2016 J45s). Having said that, I've played some True Vintages that just sounds incredible, but I've preferred the tone of the standard overall. The standard is also less pricey...

I have two issues with the J45 Standard that I want some advice on.

First, I don't want electronics. I already have a ridiculous acoustic-electric guitar for live use. This guitar isn't going to be used live so I have no need for electronics (especially the element pickup in the J45). So I would want to remove the electronics if I bought a standard J45. I believe I would need to replace the saddle if I did this. How hard/expensive is it to do a change like this one? Does it make the TV J45 make more sense?

Second issue: I hate hate hate the tuners on the Standard J45. A J45 must have cream or white tuners IMO, no those shiny metal things they put on now. How much a hassle is it to swap them for vintage style?

So, with everything I want (no electronics, vintage tuners), should I just get a True Vintage? Or skip everything I've rambled about and search for something used?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I love the 2016 J-45, but if you are going to pull the electronics I would buy used. If you can live with the electronics (why not) just buy a new one if you like them and don't plug it in. I have one and have never plugged it in.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:41 AM

I got me a brand-new 2016 J45 Standard Vintage Sunburst. I compared it in the same shop against a J45 True Vintage, and two other J45's from earlier 2015. My guitar blew them all away, also the True Vintage. There are several reports on the net which also seem to indicate that 2016 is an exceptionally good year. But of course you have to compare for yourself, it may well be that your experience is different. As far as the electronics go: they are excellent but also barely noticeable, so if you do not use them they will also not disturb you. I really do not see the need to go through the hassle of removing them. The tuners are Grovers and I have no problem with them, so I cannot comment on replacements.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman2 View Post
As far as the electronics go: they are excellent but also barely noticeable, so if you do not use them they will also not disturb you. I really do not see the need to go through the hassle of removing them.
I've read some folks saying that taking out the element under the saddle can improve tone (maybe just slightly), and it might be a decent excuse to put a bone saddle instead of the tusq it comes with. Anyone have experience on that?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:45 AM

I agree with you about the tuners. However it's not to difficult to swap them out for the older style. I wouldn't let the tuners stop me from buying a good J-45.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

My J45 Custom sounds better (to me) with the tusq saddle. Buy the J45 that sounds the best to you....congrats!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:57 AM

True Vintage all the way. Adi top ... nice! But it does not come with electronics. I added a $50 JJB Prestige 330 to mine.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 05-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Yes, get the true vintage used.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Played a 2016 Standard recently, and Wow! It now haunts my GAS dreams. Apparently, it is an exceptionally good year. I'd go try one, if I were you.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 05-11-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
Played a 2016 Standard recently, and Wow! It now haunts my GAS dreams. Apparently, it is an exceptionally good year. I'd go try one, if I were you.
My experience exactly!

I'd like to take this moment to apologize to all the Gibson fans that have felt disparaged.

I've never, until recently, played a Gibson acoustic that I would be willing to part with the price.

The new Gibson J-45 Standards are fantastic!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Advice on buying a Gibson J-45

Yes. Don't do it! You'll never get any work done!!

cotten
Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 AM

I live in Bozeman and have played a huge amount of J-45's. That being said:

-Only buy used if you can play it first. Lots of variation between each Gibson. I've played several plain J-45's that sounded better than the TV's in the same store.

-Buy the guitar that sounds best to your ears irregardless of the model. If it ends up being the regular J-45, take out the electronics, have a luthier put in a new saddle and nut, and put in some Waverly tuners. The Waverlies are better than the TV tuners IMO and will have the look you are after. All of these upgrades are easy.

You will end up with the best sounding guitar, modified to your specifications, and will most likely cost less than a TV.

Matt
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matters View Post
I live in Bozeman and have played a huge amount of J-45's. That being said:

-Only buy used if you can play it first. Lots of variation between each Gibson. I've played several plain J-45's that sounded better than the TV's in the same store.

-Buy the guitar that sounds best to your ears irregardless of the model. If it ends up being the regular J-45, take out the electronics, have a luthier put in a new saddle and nut, and put in some Waverly tuners. The Waverlies are better than the TV tuners IMO and will have the look you are after. All of these upgrades are easy.

You will end up with the best sounding guitar, modified to your specifications, and will most likely cost less than a TV.

Matt
I agree. I really like the 2016 J45 Standard, but then again I tend to like sitka tops over Adi. Taking the electronics out and having a new bone saddle made and intonated should run under $200. Add that to a conservative $2100 estimate for the new cost ($2399 less discount) gets you into an amazing lifetime-guitar.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:52 AM

I got my 2016 J 45, and immediately removed the electronics and had a bone saddle installed. Guitar sounds like a bell, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecadad View Post
I've read some folks saying that taking out the element under the saddle can improve tone (maybe just slightly), and it might be a decent excuse to put a bone saddle instead of the tusq it comes with. Anyone have experience on that?
I took the Element out of my J-35, put in a Bob Colosi bone saddle, and never looked back. With the element missing, it actually brought the action down to "perfect," and I thought the tone improved as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion