The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 03:39 AM

Default Guitarist Friends! have *LEFT Hand/palm Injury, 6-stiches..looking Suggestions Please

Hi Everybody,

I have Very Limited experience with Forum Posting & perhaps Forum etiquette too..
Am also perhaps Not in the best-of-mind to share about a Hand Injury.
I am hoping All will be Well, w/ sharing details, & Recovery!

I don't know if this is right thing to do, or not, or even if I Can do this correctly.
By attempting to share this Injury.
I will attempt to, with a bit more of my closely-related history..

I am Only a person that has been playing (for enjoyment) since late 60's, on & off..
Mostly Off, until 2 years ago, when purchased a Used Martin 000-15SM Deluxe Guitar & starting Playing Again!
And, especially More So, since last Spring! (2015), Playing (& singing) EveryDay.. realistically averaging 2 or more hours every day..
I will also Add, that recently, is probably closer to 3+ hours daily (total) play/sing, for the past several months!

I have also, been doing Vocal 'warm-ups' for awhile.. & since this past Winter, Have also, been doing some 'Entry-Level' Voice Training.. I have noticed Remarkable Improvement w/ this!.. (as noted in 'Next' paragraph)
I am & have always been my Toughest Critic! (fwtw...)

Ok,
I will be Brief, w/ Injury details.

I received a Cut/gash/wound, on my LEFT hand, Palm area, Left Side of Palm area.
About equal distance between Index Finger & Thumb, on Palm.
(Location of wound is approx 3/4", In, From the left outer Edge of palm)
* The Cut/gash is approx 1 1/4" (approx 30mm) long.

There is No Tendon damage observed, & I can move Index Finger pretty easily w/ not much effort!
The Issue IS:
* The Index Finger NERVE, is damaged and possible severed.

With Palm facing Up:
The Outer edge on Index finger (left-side), & Front (facing), the Index Finger (Palm side) is partially numb, w/ some slightest tingle present).
Only the Inside of Index finger, side-area directly-next to middle finger, seems basically unaffected by nerve damage.

From my short research,
It looks like, it is the"Median" (palm side) Nerve that is Damaged.
(As different, from Nerves running up through the Back of hand, appears to be Called the "Radial' Nerve.)

* Briefly, I was moving a Large 7' height Steel Storage Cabinet.
Cut hand on welded-on metal Tabs to bolt to Large Tool box(es).

Ok, to continue,
*Cleaned wound well w/ 'hydrogen-poroxide' solution, put on bandage, called my Doctor (great person),
He said, come immediately.
I called a good female friend.
She Arrived shortly, we went.

My Doctor put 5 or 6 Stitches. Told me of options on Nerve Damage Repair.
No one in my immediate area for MICRO-magnification surgery.

*My Dr Office called later, found & made an appt. Thursday, May 11, a Surgeon at UVA medical center , Charlottesville Va. (approx 1 1/2 hr away) for "Consultation" w/ Hand Surgery ('micro-Magnification surgery ').

Ok,
Needless to say,
I was pretty Devastated at first. I am little better now, but looking at Another possible Hand Operation, is causing me concerns.

From my personal 'Spiritual Program' of many years,
I have been made 'aware' of the Paradox of 'Growth', from Tragedy & Despair aspect.
but, from a 'human' standpoint, I am hurting, pretty hard emotionally.

Ok,
My *Appeal to any of you that may have had any Hand Surgeries,
& Especially Hand NERVE Surgeries on hand, Left (or right), affecting Fingers, that may be able
to leave some guidance of best way found, on handling this terrible event..
if feel comfortable in doing so.

I am feeling better now w/ Not having any Tendon damage, it appears.
(I) believe there is Hope to able to 'Physically' pursue using hand & All Fingers again, and even my Re-Gained passion of Playing Music again too.
Though it doesn't appear to be any 'Tendon' damage,
There Is a 'Noticeable' amount of Nerve-Damage Evident!
Again, there Is, some Tingling sensations on Left side, & Front, (palm side) of LEFT Index Finger.
And, Also, have some feeling of tingling, on TIP of Index finger too, but is difficult to tell exact degree of 'tingling/feeling' as have pretty heavy Callouses on Finger tips. but I can feel just a bit of 'feeling' there too.

It appears, this nerve is Very Small.
Nerves can be as small (general) .003" or (0.0762 mm) approx diameter.

* A general Question, I wish to ask :
Does Anyone here,have any Experience they may feel comfortable sharing, about any 'Repair/Nerve Re-Attachment' Experience of an Index Finger 'Median' Nerve? (or any Hand/Nerve Repair?

just as a basic, entry,
I hope I am not over-reacting here..

Just hopefully looking some Like-Experiences Person, and how they/You may have handled (God help us).. an Injury similar to this.
Hoping for Perseverance & Growth, from Injury and Adversity (for us All!)..

I walk by Guitar Case, & music stand, & want to pick up guitar badly,
but I know, is not good Idea, w/ Nerve's damaged, & possibly attempting to re-attach themselves!

(and Yes, it IS difficult and SLOW, to type, w/ a damaged Index Finger! (haa!, on me!)
I guess injury didn't affect my gabby-ness too much though...

A Sincerest Thank You,
I remain Indebted to so many, to help be get this far.. Earl

Last edited by AgedPassion; 01-30-2018 at 01:40 AM. Reason: spelling & grammer. & Clarity
Old 05-11-2016, 04:41 AM

First of all, sorry for your suffering, this can't be easy!

I've never <<knock on wood>> had wounds like that; only broken arms (left side, twice) and hand bone fractures (right side, twice, once required 2 finger/knuckle resets). No nerve damage and I can still play guitar. I do know the patience required for healing properly to get playing again can drive one up the wall. I hope your injury isn't as bad as it seems. You seem the type to keep the faith and a positive attitude, so you have that going for you. Hopefully your consultation will go well. Keep us updated! Thoughts and prayers for you for patience, healing, and an overall positive outcome!
Old 05-11-2016, 04:56 AM

I would imagine you need input more from a surgeon than other players. Go to UVA and get the real bottom line on what is possible. I had surgery on my right hand tendon a few years ago and it totally solved the issue but no two cases are similar enough to be meaningful. Get your options from the doctor and go from there.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:05 AM

I lost one of the fingertips of my fretting hand just above the knuckle. It was reattached. Two other fingers were deeply lacerated going through the profundus tendon and scoring the bone. I did this while carrying a very heavy block of metal and losing my grip. I just machined the piece of metal and it had a very sharp edge.

I had a metal pin going down the reattached fingertip to hold it straight. While walking my dog a couple days after the incident, my big mutt dashed after a squirrel, the loose part of the leash snagged the bandaging on my injured hand and bent the surgical pin. I went home and straightened it out. Hurt like heck!

Long story short, that was 5 years ago and I play better than ever. -Even with three partially numb and odd-sensation fingertips with one of them being bent about 7 degrees.

No worries then or now...

I'll post pics from the ER and recovery if you want to see. They are very graphic.

Ray
Old 05-11-2016, 07:54 AM

Earl:

I never had an injury like this, but I do know that the University of Virginia has a great medical school and is a terrific hospital system.

If this problem can be succesfully resolved, it can be done at Virginia.

Greg Rappleye
Old 05-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

First of all, so sorry that you are dealing with this injury. Your emotional reaction is understandable and it is great that you are getting good medical assistance. Though I have not had hand surgery, I do have a guitar playing friend who had hand surgery (her left) for a different situation. She recovered most of the use of her hand and had to alter her playing style a bit but now plays and performs regularly.

I think patience will be required as you move through the process. Let your medical people know that you are a guitar player and that you want to continue playing. Another friend of mine who was recovering from a hand injury was able to find a physical therapist who was a guitar player and specialized in hand rehabilitation.

Try to stay positive and keep us posted. Hopefully, the AGF community here will provide at least some emotional support to help get you through.

Best to you.
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 05-11-2016 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM

Don’t know if this helps but here’s my story
About twenty years ago, in a sheet metal accident, I severed the tendon on my right (picking hand) middle finger. The ring finger was badly cut too, but the tendon survived.
This was completely devastating as I make my living playing guitar (teaching and performing).
It took hours of micro surgery sew the finger back together. And then three months of recovery, with daily exercises and weekly visits to the hospital. Hand in a brace all the time and absolutely no guitar playing!
Both fingers were numb and painful. I believe there was some nerve damage but the surgeon was more concerned about the tendon damage.
Anyway in time everything healed up, I was back at work after three months with a slightly bent middle finger.
I still have to work harder to finger pick or play bass. Probably have about 90% of the physical dexterity from before the accident, but I have gained so much from doing the extra work and having to just get down to it. I am certainly a far better player today.
It was really hard to see any kind of hope in the beginning, but things worked out pretty well in the end.
Wishing you all the best
Will
Old 05-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Is there a cliff notes version of this...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
First of all, sorry for your suffering, this can't be easy!

I've never <<knock on wood>> had wounds like that; only broken arms (left side, twice) and hand bone fractures (right side, twice, once required 2 finger/knuckle resets). No nerve damage and I can still play guitar. I do know the patience required for healing properly to get playing again can drive one up the wall. I hope your injury isn't as bad as it seems. You seem the type to keep the faith and a positive attitude, so you have that going for you. Hopefully your consultation will go well. Keep us updated! Thoughts and prayers for you for patience, healing, and an overall positive outcome!
*Hi 'crikey',

Thank You, for your very Kind & very Positive words of Encouragement!.

As to IF there was even some way possible to compare ANY injury w/ another.
I would have to say, w/ Your Arm Injuries (Twice), and Hand/bone Fractures Twice, would be right up there w/ ANY Major Very Terrible and Very Painful Injuries.
I can easily See, how you could share about Faith & a Positive Attitude, (and patience), Making it Though w/ the Bad Injuries you have had yourself!

I am age 66 now, & raced Dirt-Bikes 125cc class, Only One Summer at age 17... I never broke any bones there, but easily could have.. I did See a LOT of Very Terrible injuries.. Not a lot of safety rules enforced in mid-sixties..
I got banged up More, riding far-back country dirt roads,.. than on a dirt-track w/ different high performance 250cc dirt-bikes... but never broke any bones somehow!.
I overheard My step-father telling one of his friends, that it looked doubtful I would ever make it to my 18 birthday! (I never was really sure how serious he was though). haa, anyway fwtw..

I will found out w/ Micro-Hand Surgeon Tomorrow, about my Options & suggested Direction to take..
My Index finger Movement is Good,
but Numbness Still there.

I sincerely Appreciate your Kind Words of Encouragement!
Best Wishes for Great Health & Guitar playing.. Earl
Old 05-11-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
I lost one of the fingertips of my fretting hand just above the knuckle. It was reattached. Two other fingers were deeply lacerated going through the profundus tendon and scoring the bone. I did this while carrying a very heavy block of metal and losing my grip. I just machined the piece of metal and it had a very sharp edge.

I had a metal pin going down the reattached fingertip to hold it straight. While walking my dog a couple days after the incident, my big mutt dashed after a squirrel, the loose part of the leash snagged the bandaging on my injured hand and bent the surgical pin. I went home and straightened it out. Hurt like heck!

Long story short, that was 5 years ago and I play better than ever. -Even with three partially numb and odd-sensation fingertips with one of them being bent about 7 degrees.

No worries then or now...

I'll post pics from the ER and recovery if you want to see. They are very graphic.

Ray
*Hi Ray,

Oh my, very Terrible injury..
* Great, Great Recovery story!

I admit to 'worry' fair amount first two days!
Not so much worry today, as can see there is No apparent Tendon Injury!

More of Concern now, If some type of Micro-magnication surgery, can Restore to some GOOD degree, Feeling to Index Finger.

I am age 66 now, some limitations w/ Severe Airplane Crash injuries.
w/ multiple Fractures, Concussion, etc. & Two Eye operations..
After 10 years, I can do a lot of things pretty normal now, just doing slower.
Guitar playing got Much Better for me now Too!

until this incident.

I will found out w/ Micro-Hand Surgeon Tomorrow, about my Options & suggested Direction to take..

Thanks, but Not necessary to see Photo's.
For one summer living in NYC, (7+ years) I did part-time Volunteer work, in St Vincent's Hospital Emergency Room, (as a liaison, of sorts),
My friend, the Director, transferred to Bellevue Emergency Room.. He asked me to come, I went there too.
I saw More Extreme & Severe injury & suffering, than I ever thought Possible! ... Very, Very Special People for that type of day to day work!

Thank You Ray,
for taking time to Share a Very Positive & Very Inspirational Success Story!
Wishing Best of Heath,
Kind Regards, Earl
Old 05-11-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rappleye View Post
Earl:

I never had an injury like this, but I do know that the University of Virginia has a great medical school and is a terrific hospital system.

If this problem can be succesfully resolved, it can be done at Virginia.

Greg Rappleye
* Hi Greg,

Thanks for Positive & High Review input, for the University of Virginia Hospital.

And for Inspiration & the Best of Help available there!

I will found out w/ Micro-Hand Surgeon Tomorrow (thursday) about my Options & suggested Direction to take..

Thanks again,
Kindest Regards, Earl
Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Recently suffered a similar injury. I managed to stick an electronics screwdriver through the palm of my hand below the index finger severing nerve(s). I had no feeling in my index finger or middle finger. I slowly got all the feeling back in middle finger and most of the index finger but still have no feeling in the end of my index finger but it doesn't seem to affect my playing - I play just as awful as ever! It took a lot of stretching and about a month of not playing at all to recover. Good luck with your recovery!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 PM

Sorry to hear about your injury and hopefully you will make a quick and full recovery. In the meantime it sounds like a great opportunity to learn how to play slide guitar!

Martin custom shop OM-28
Old 05-11-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
First of all, so sorry that you are dealing with this injury. Your emotional reaction is understandable and it is great that you are getting good medical assistance. Though I have not had hand surgery, I do have a guitar playing friend who had hand surgery (her left) for a different situation. She recovered most of the use of her hand and had to alter her playing style a bit but now plays and performs regularly.

I think patience will be required as you move through the process. Let your medical people know that you are a guitar player and that you want to continue playing. Another friend of mine who was recovering from a hand injury was able to find a physical therapist who was a guitar player and specialized in hand rehabilitation.

Try to stay positive and keep us posted. Hopefully, the AGF community here will provide at least some emotional support to help get you through.

Best to you.
Jayne
Hi Jayne,

Thank You for taking time to write!

I appreciate your Kind and understanding message!
Relaying some positive successful results with Several of your Guitar playing friends after their injury, is a Good feeling for me and, I feel very Happy for your Guitar playing Friends!.

Yes, I do have a very Good Doctor of a Long time.
He does know I play guitar, as well as a Good bit of my 'History'.
I believe that helps some too.

I will found out w/ Micro-Hand Surgeon Tomorrow (Thursday) at the University of Virginia Hospital about my Options & suggested Direction to take..
but Numbness Still there, & that's kinda hard.

Yes, I admit to 'worry' fair amount first two days!
I feel a bit better today as I can see it appears there is No apparent Tendon Injury!

More of Concern now.. 'Can' Micro-magnication surgery, be able to Restore some GOOD degree of Feeling to Index Finger.
(I know So many variables involved, I must have Trust & Faith).

*Yes ma'am, Another area you are So Correct!
I Must focus and work on my Patience with Much Vigilance!

I see, I must also learn to stay more Focused, on where my attention is.
I have been attempting to write sometimes, too much, as an escape of sort to not deal with this Pain.
I believe some of this is holding be back, keeping me from moving forward as much as I should.

I must get rest & sleep now, to get ready to go to U Va hospital in morning.

Your message has been very Helpful and Revealing for me!

Thank you Jayne,
with the Kindest of Regards, Earl

*I will leave a reply/thank you, for the Kind members who took time to write with support after get back from U Va tomorrow.. Earl

Last edited by AgedPassion; 05-11-2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2016, 08:36 PM

Default back from UVa Medical Center - Hand Center, Fontaine Research

* Hi New Friends, & 'Everybody' here too!

* GOOD NEWS! *

I got back not long ago from UVA medical Hospital, Hand Center - Fontaine Research Building, Charlottesville Virginia.

ALL there were very Friendly, Enthusiastic, & Sincere attending to me through a series of comprehensive tests and procedures. Visiting Three separate room areas.

Concluding Results, showed No serious Tendon Damage.
Functional Movement Testing - Showed ALL Good.. performed on BOTH hands/fingers.
Probe-Testing (with color-coding documentation) Showed ALL Good. again BOTH hand/fingers.

As to Nerve Damage to Index Finger, Yes - I do have Median Nerve damage(& some other terms, unable write down all info)
Dr Drake, (hand Surgeon), Concluding remarks - He did Not suspect Median Nerve was severed.
Only with some significant Traumatized symptoms.
He suspected some Median Nerve Swelling, (and some other nerve/tissue damage, not able to write down all of this).

Finalizing comments, were: I was Not in immediate need for Any surgery at this Point!

It took just a bit, for me to Grasp this information, so I did slowly and calmly as possible ask a question, (not sure how 'calm' it actually sounding')
"So, what should I do now, where do I stand now w/ this Injury".
Dr Drake, said 'Good Question, or (fair question).

His Final Remarks, "I do not see any need for any type of surgery at this point.
Lets just watch your Progress on 'feeling' in the Index finger 30 - 60 days, and go from there!"
(not word for word account of all this, but fairly accurate)

I was finally feeling so Much Better at this point!
Dr Drakes nurse-practitioner, another Staff member, and a Training-Student, were All very happy for me too.

*Follow-up Instructions..
Wait several Days, to a week, before returning to play guitar again, and Only Short periods of time at first, spaced throughout day, 5-10 minutes at time, gently at first, allowing wound/stitches area, & damaged tissue to heal.
Stating also, this is actually Great Exercise/Therapy for hand now too..

Stitches will come out 10 -14 days.
Monitor Index finger feel/numbness closely as go through next 30 days, and then 60 days, to note Progress!

Everybody Happy, especially Me!

__________________________________________________ ____

Yes, I still have Significant Numbness in Index Finger, and this does Not feel well.

* However, It does appear there is Very Good Indications for Much Improvement (in time) w/o surgery, for Feeling to Return to Index Finger and hand!

I will stop here, w/ adding, I wish to Thank the So many, for sharing Your Concern (w/ some personal experiences w/ serious Injury too), Also the great Emotional Support received, during this Traumatic (for me) Injury.

(I have had worse injuries, that were sustained w/ airplane Crash, 16 or so years ago,)
Though NONE of any of earlier prior Bad injuries,
were any more emotionally Traumatic or Devastating to me, than This hand/finger Injury!

Maybe I am just getting Soft in my old age.. (or in my *New (to me) Life now! )

I am pretty tired now, (w/ not much sleep last night contributing).
I will try to get bit more rest/sleep now.

Thank You All,
Sincerest & Best Wishes to All.. Earl

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion