The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Pick a guitar much more expensive than the one you're looking at, and bug him about it instead.

When you "settle" for the one you're really wanting, he can enjoy a sense of frugal satisfaction.

--edit--

Oh, and give our forum sponsors a call. You might be pleasantly surprised at the actual price...
Old 05-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Pick a guitar much more expensive than the one you're looking at, and bug him about it instead.

When you "settle" for the one you're really wanting, he can enjoy a sense of frugal satisfaction.
This is a great tactic, I need to do this more often!
2009 Larrivee OM-09
2015 Martin D-15
2010 Martin HD-28
2015 Martin HD-28-SB
2010 K.H. Newport D1

Looking for a Rockbridge Dreadnaught...
...and a Fairbanks slope shoulder sunburst.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
Well I don't get it!? No question- buy the guitar and enjoy

He might not like it- but he better learn to love it!!

madhat.
I'm with this. My wife and operate this way. Each has their own money and our bills are divided based on a fair equation of income as to who pays which one. After that, each is free to spend as they please.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayharley View Post
I have an orchestra body Guild that's nice but.....I've wanted a Martin forever and I'm not getting any younger.
My hubby doesn't collect anything I can bargain with nor is he a musician. I'll just keep whining although I think he's getting immune to it.
Okay, for starters, you're asking a group of (predominantly) dummies for advice, although there are some of the top level species that post here as well. Me, I'm a dummy, so, grain o' salt.

Plan A:
You're a woman, and there is ultimately nothing we men won't give in to - provided the right schemin' & dreamin' plot is played flawlessly like only a woman can do (and truth be told, the bar ain't that high). Thinking inside the relationship box is for us dummies. I think you can do better than that. In conclusion, you have to really work it (nudge nudge, wink wink ), and I mean REALLY work it Specifically: Buy him a socket & wratchet set. Or a Harley. Your choice. And Hubby turns to butter.

Plan B:
Buy the guitar unbeknownst to Hubby, and hide it under your shoes. He will never think to look under your shoes, EVER. But IF he does, and asks you about it, you say, "Oh, THAT old thing?? I was wondering where that was! Dear ol' Grams would be sorely disappointed if she knew that turned up missing! It was her wish I should have it. I really should start playing it more - amazing how NEW it still looks! But dear ol' Grams never really did play it much..."
Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default tell your husband..

Quote:
I want the 000-15 in sunburst so bad! Hubby just rolls his eyes and walks away everytime he sees me on one of the many sites drooling over it. I only have 1 guitar, I play 2-3 hours everyday and I work. So.....should I risk it or be happy with what I have now?
Tell your husband there are plenty of available men on this forum who would gladly let you buy any freekin' guitar you want...matter of fact...many would probably buy it for you....if he doesn't understand...I'd move on....(as a preface I'm happily married...but if that changes...you may hear from me..lol...

p.s. Take him to a store and play a few AUTHENTIC's...then he'll gladly buy you that one you want...but...then...you probably want want it anymore...

Last edited by $ongWriter; 05-07-2016 at 10:54 AM. Reason: words
Old 05-07-2016, 10:54 AM

Let him know the Guild will be sold as soon as the Martin comes home. Besides helping with the cost, two guitars may be considered "frivolous" to one who doesn't appreciate them.
2003 Ibanez AW1050ce
1994 Martin D16H93
2023 Eastman E1OM special
Old 05-07-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I want the 000-15 in sunburst so bad! Hubby just rolls his eyes and walks away everytime he sees me on one of the many sites drooling over it. I only have 1 guitar, I play 2-3 hours everyday and I work. So.....should I risk it or be happy with what I have now?
I'd risk it and try to find a new spouse.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 AM

You should reach out to this person and discuss swapping spouses.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=1#post4928086
Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Wow...thanks for all the replies.
I don't think it's so much of a money issue as maybe jealousy. I play my Guild to death so how much would I play the Martin....like all the time and he knows it!
I cook wonderful dinners, keep an immaculate house, bring home a paycheck and the only other thing I've ever really nagged about wanting is a small greenhouse. Problem is my husband is a very content man who is happy with what he has and doesn't need much. I'm somewhat the same but this passion I have for playing has become important in my life. I never expected to be able to play some of the songs I've learned through the internet and it's the best feeling.

And so I nag on....
Haha, I can relate to the time thing. When my GF and I started dating a few years ago I told her up front that I have to have time for music which is going to be me alone in my music room with a guitar. "I may be in there for hours sometimes.... It's just what I need. I know it may be considered selfish but that's just what I need so if it doesn't work for you then this isn't going to work". As it turned out she loves to paint and usually goes into her paint room/studio when I'm working on music so it works out

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-07-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Take your hubby down to the music store and see how much they'll give you for him on a new Martin. Hubby's may come and go, a good Martin can last forever.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:37 AM

Except for my Froggy Bottom guitar (explanation bleow). I've never purchased a guitar that didn't involve a discussion with my wife on availability of money.

I love my guitars, but mortgage, bills come 1st.

When my dad died in 2004, he left me some $$.. After doing the right thing with most of it, I had some money left over. During a lunch break from work I was in a guitar store and grabbed the Froggy Bottom. I knew nothing about them, but I instantly fell in love with the feel, sound, etc... I spent 2 hours playing it and had to go back to work.

It nagged at me for the rest of the day... I went back after work and played it again. We all know the prices of Froggy Bottoms.

I sold every guitar that I had, added in the remaining money from my dad and bought it. It's been a treasure ever since

I bought it in memory of my parents who scraped together $50 in 1964 to get me my 1st guitar.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Just tell him you are going to buy a guitar, and it's between the 15 and a D45. Which does he like the sound of?

That should do the trick.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-07-2016, 11:46 AM

I'm fortunate that I don't ever have to ask my wife for permission. First off, we don't have a lot of money. She is a school teacher and I'm on disability and I only work part time. Its easy avoiding things I can't really afford...because I don't have the money. No money = No new guitar. So what do I do when I find something I can't live without? I put it on layaway. My wife is totally fine with this, as long as the money I'm spending doesn't put us in a bind. So I have to have patience. As long as she sees me being patient and making the layaway payments...we have no problems.

They say its easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. I find life to be a lot easier when I don't have to ask for either.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 05-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Kay, you have just answered your own question. If you have money of your own, what valid argument could your husband possibly present against you buying the guitar?

I'm sorry. I'm married but I would never let my husband have the power of veto over something I really wanted to do unless it could have a negative impact on him or us in some way. Nor would I try to dissuade him from a passion. We wish each other well in the world, and that means supporting each other's interests.

My advice is to sit down with your husband and calmly tell him why the guitar is important to you and how you will pay for it. I would assure him that just because you'll have 2 guitars does not mean that you plan to play twice as much. Finally, let him know that you would appreciate his support, but that you are not seeking his permission and do intend to buy the guitar, regardless.

All this whining and nagging you're doing devalues you as a person and subjects you to his denial. The advice you've been given to try different manipulative ploys has been misguided, though probably meant in fun.

Never let another person, spouse or otherwise, stand in the way of pursuing your goals or passions. And don't forget to post a NGD when you get that Martin!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Take your hubby down to the music store and see how much they'll give you for him on a new Martin...
"Ah just got a herrin'bone Martin for my husband at the pawn shop - an' $10 cash back besides"...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion