The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

A guitar is not worth risking a marriage over, therefore your man should take you shopping for a new guitar.

Unless you do not have the funds, and you husbands is being the practical one.
In that case, a guitar is not worth risking your marriage over
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If you have the money, why not? I don't buy a guitar though without my wife behind it 100%.
I'm with Barry on this one.

Question number one is can you afford a new guitar. I always have to sell at least one to afford another. Some times I have to sell some other stuff too. Bottom line is that I have the money for the guitar before I buy it, so the family budget doesn't take a hit. I'm also blessed with a great wife who supports me 100% when I buy a new guitar...mainly because she loves that I love to play, but partly because she knows I'm being responsible with our money.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I'm with Barry on this one.

Question number one is can you afford a new guitar. I always have to sell at least one to afford another. Some times I have to sell some other stuff too. Bottom line is that I have the money for the guitar before I buy it, so the family budget doesn't take a hit. I'm also blessed with a great wife who supports me 100% when I buy a new guitar...mainly because she loves that I love to play, but partly because she knows I'm being responsible with our money.
That's where the extra effort for extra cash idea comes in. Taking nothing out of the regular family coffers. I've done this hundreds of times. It's easier than it looks. And the pay-off makes it worth it.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 AM

Cool

Wow...thanks for all the replies.
I don't think it's so much of a money issue as maybe jealousy. I play my Guild to death so how much would I play the Martin....like all the time and he knows it!
I cook wonderful dinners, keep an immaculate house, bring home a paycheck and the only other thing I've ever really nagged about wanting is a small greenhouse. Problem is my husband is a very content man who is happy with what he has and doesn't need much. I'm somewhat the same but this passion I have for playing has become important in my life. I never expected to be able to play some of the songs I've learned through the internet and it's the best feeling.

And so I nag on....
Old 05-07-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
A guitar is not worth risking a marriage over, therefore your man should take you shopping for a new guitar.

Unless you do not have the funds, and you husbands is being the practical one.
In that case, a guitar is not worth risking your marriage over
Welllllllll, we are talking about a Martin. My Martins outlasted my marriage and when they do leave, I don't need to hire a lawyer.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:58 AM

I went through a messy divorce 25 years ago but I still have my Martin D 41. Play it every day. Need I say more? Jeff B
Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayharley View Post
I want the 000-15 in sunburst so bad! Hubby just rolls his eyes and walks away everytime he sees me on one of the many sites drooling over it. I only have 1 guitar, I play 2-3 hours everyday and I work. So.....should I risk it or be happy with what I have now?
Playing 2 or 3 hours a day certainly lends credibility to your claim of being a serious guitar enthusiast, even if that means a single guitar.

A large part of a successful and happy marriage are partners who realize the importance of the few interests in life that many of us have that truly define a distinct portion of who we are. To embrace being truly human it is important to harbor and nourish those activities that stimulate the endorphin release response within our brains, often a result of activities that go beyond basic needs.

Everyone has their own path to nervana; some enjoy long distance running, some parachute, some engage in fairly benign activities such as playing a musical instrument.

It may be the case that your mate will understand the importance of your pursuit of a new instrument when you frame it with the knowledge that this is a very intimate and important part of your path to happiness and not just a unrealistic desire to collect instruments. That's certainly an ailment that afflicts some here, but that's not your case at all.

There are few joys in life that equate to finding the instrument that perfectly matches what we desire in ergonomics, sound, and beauty. The only way we find that path is to develop a checklist of what will satisfy our needs and then research and check out the "short list" until we match our goals.

It sounds like the burst 000-15 might check all the boxes for you. Good luck in your pursuit, and hopefully your mate will be reasonable in understanding the true nature of your longing.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 AM

If the money isn't a problem then IMO you have a marriage issue. My wife is one of those content with what she has people. I'm the wanter. She grew up poor and we are better off than her family was. And she appreciates that. But if she tells me that there is something she really wants, I WILL find a way to get it. I have even sold cherished guitars and guns to do so. I can always get another guitar or gun. But she's a one of a kind.
Perhaps your husband is stalling you while he makes his plans to get it for you?
Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I have an orchestra body Guild that's nice but.....I've wanted a Martin forever and I'm not getting any younger.
My hubby doesn't collect anything I can bargain with nor is he a musician. I'll just keep whining although I think he's getting immune to it.
Kay, do you have your own money, I mean money you can call yours to do as you will with? I am a great believer that no matter how rich or poor you are, you should have some pocket money, at least. I had the same discussions many many years ago, more than 45 to be exact, and we agreed, eventually on a figure we each could keep to have and spend as we liked. I bought a guitar.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Welllllllll, we are talking about a Martin. My Martins outlasted my marriage and when they do leave, I don't need to hire a lawyer.
Haha! I like your style HHP.

Kay, what do you grow in that greenhouse? You may be able to use that to turn a few extra bucks if you catch my drift... Haha all jokes aside, for me a good great way to stay passionate about playing and writing is to enjoy new guitars and it helps keep me centered and grounded. Best approach would be for you to hit the floor kicking and screaming for a new guitar, if that doesn't work then do the next best thing, apologize after buying it instead of asking for permission.
2009 Larrivee OM-09
2015 Martin D-15
2010 Martin HD-28
2015 Martin HD-28-SB
2010 K.H. Newport D1

Looking for a Rockbridge Dreadnaught...
...and a Fairbanks slope shoulder sunburst.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:10 AM

I have my own stash/checking/savings/MC so I wouldn't be digging into our household fund. His philosophy is "I have a guitar so why do I need another?" My philosophy is "Because it's a Martin, because I've wanted one since I was 18".
And NO....he is not making plans to get it for me. LOL
Old 05-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi kayharley,

I am curious to know what you think the consequences would be if you went ahead and spent your money on this Martin that you want? It sounds as though if you reassure him that you will still make time for him and that he is not going to be always competing for time, your happiness should make the time you spend with your husband of higher quality. Yes? I think you should go ahead but only if you can live with whatever consequences you see for the relationship.

Best of luck and I am rooting for a both/and scenario - happy you with your Martin and happy husband to boot!

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow...thanks for all the replies.
I don't think it's so much of a money issue as maybe jealousy. I play my Guild to death so how much would I play the Martin....like all the time and he knows it!
I cook wonderful dinners, keep an immaculate house, bring home a paycheck and the only other thing I've ever really nagged about wanting is a small greenhouse. Problem is my husband is a very content man who is happy with what he has and doesn't need much. I'm somewhat the same but this passion I have for playing has become important in my life. I never expected to be able to play some of the songs I've learned through the internet and it's the best feeling.

And so I nag on....
H Kay,
Nice to see another lady here on the forum who has a passion for guitars. I used to have a 000-15M but I am now down to just my Martin D Jr and my CEO7, both small bodies that are both comfortable and that produce a beautiful tone. I say if you are pining for a guitar, go for it! As for hubby's rolling his eyes, perhaps he simply doesn't understand what we guitar lovers experience when we play, search for, look at, listen to guitars.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have my own stash/checking/savings/MC so I wouldn't be digging into our household fund. His philosophy is "I have a guitar so why do I need another?" My philosophy is "Because it's a Martin, because I've wanted one since I was 18".
And NO....he is not making plans to get it for me. LOL
Well I don't get it!? No question- buy the guitar and enjoy

He might not like it- but he better learn to love it!!

madhat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion