The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Default My marriage vs a Martin

I want the 000-15 in sunburst so bad! Hubby just rolls his eyes and walks away everytime he sees me on one of the many sites drooling over it. I only have 1 guitar, I play 2-3 hours everyday and I work. So.....should I risk it or be happy with what I have now?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

If you have the money, why not? I don't buy a guitar though without my wife behind it 100%.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-07-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-07-2016, 08:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It's always best to get your spouse on your side. This site can be good evidence to present to your husband that guitarists are always attracted to one more guitar. I'm fortunate to have a wife who has become an enabler. It did take some years of making the point that she is more important the guitars.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55 AM

What guitar does the op currently have? Regardless, it does sound like you need the 15.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayharley View Post
I want the 000-15 in sunburst so bad! Hubby just rolls his eyes and walks away everytime he sees me on one of the many sites drooling over it. I only have 1 guitar, I play 2-3 hours everyday and I work. So.....should I risk it or be happy with what I have now?
Does your husband collect anything? If so you may be able to get him to empathize by explaining each guitar inspires something different as it has a different feel and tonal character. I imagine those players who just have the one guitar are the exception. Also might point out the history of the Martin company, the 000 model and how the 15 series is such a great value for all solid wood American built guitar. I am a very frugal person when it comes to spending on guitars and I can tell you I have never regretted a purchase (unless I found I didn't like the guitar, when that happens I just return the guitar or sell it). If you can afford it, buy it. The 000-15 is hard to put down. I owned one for a few years and really loved it. Probably wouldn't buy again because the small nut width just didn't work so well for my big hands, but otherwise nothing like it in the price range and it's a Martin!

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM

"Those frills cost money!" -- Peter Falk, in All the Marbles
Sorry about your dilemma, Kay. I'm familiar with it myself.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:59 AM

I have an orchestra body Guild that's nice but.....I've wanted a Martin forever and I'm not getting any younger.
My hubby doesn't collect anything I can bargain with nor is he a musician. I'll just keep whining although I think he's getting immune to it.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Try the 10 year old kid approach "all the other kids are doing this...", and then show him all the NGD posts here. Just don't show him the "For Sale" posts that inevitably follow.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-07-2016, 09:09 AM

I hear this or similar at least weekly on one if not multiple forums I frequent.
One spouse is a musician / Artist the other is not, and through lack of understanding of our obsession finds our incessant need to upgrade and acquire our current means of expression, be it guitars, paint brushes, or whatnot Baffling, if not just down right mental.

I for one feel for those in this position, as I have been there in the past.
I am lucky however as my lovely Wife is a performer as well, and in two bands on her own.

SO we established the "One Rule":
As long as our monthly obligations are met,
(Rent food, bills, prescriptions, investments etc.)
Money is to be spent and enjoyed, and I enjoy spending it on guitars, and their various accessories...
Old 05-07-2016, 09:12 AM

My wife and I avoid this kind of issue by budgeting. We have a joint account into which our income goes. Each of us has a separate account with our personal funds. How each of us spends our personal funds does not impact our budget, or the spouse. Lots less opportunity for conflict this way.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
My wife and I avoid this kind of issue by budgeting. We have a joint account into which our income goes. Each of us has a separate account with our personal funds. How each of us spends our personal funds does not impact our budget, or the spouse. Lots less opportunity for conflict this way.
YES!
we do this very same, it works, works VERY well.
and as you stated avoids the conflicts that could arise otherwise.
also is that 000-15 for sale in your sig sunburst by any chance?
Old 05-07-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayharley View Post
I have an orchestra body Guild that's nice but.....I've wanted a Martin forever and I'm not getting any younger.
My hubby doesn't collect anything I can bargain with nor is he a musician. I'll just keep whining although I think he's getting immune to it.
Go to the bank and get a big bag of quarters. Then tell your husband you will sell yourself on the street to get the money for the Martin. If he still resists, wait a day and tell him you did it and show him the bag.

When he asked who gave you the quarters, tell him "All of them" and make room for the new Martin.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:30 AM

I once had a friend who had a knack for, although we worked together and earned the same pay, always getting the expensive things he wanted. When asked how he did it, he replied "Scheme on it. The only thing stopping you is your willingness to do what it takes to get it. Find ways to make extra money. A part time job. Small free lance jobs for cash. A few hours a week can make a difference."
Have a garage sale. Sell things you no longer need or use. Your imagination and dedication is the key. MF has a credit card where you can pay out your guitar by month. Can you find a way to earn $100. extra a month?
Old 05-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Default My marriage vs a Martin

Go get the guitar! Life is short. It is something you are passionate about, you work, and you have earned it.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:33 AM

I think it depends on how strapped you are for money vs. is your hubby just cheap, riding a control issue, or selfish. People tend to spend a lot on their hobbies whether it's golf, bike riding, good wine, collecting something, or whatever. These hobbies add extra joy to our lives. Spending money on what you love is part of why we all work. It's a matter, to me, of whether the expenditure is outrageous compared to the amount of money rolling in every month. There are A LOT of hobbies more dangerous to a marriage than guitar playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion