The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomiv9 View Post
Really? I think torrefied bracing is relatively new concept, and the vast majority of torrefied guitars just have torrefied tops.
You're probably correct that there are a number of guitars out there with torrefied tops and non-torrefied braces. I just checked a couple of pages on Martin's site and it looks to me like they're torrefying the braces as well as the top. (See: OM-28 Authentic 1931)

Quote:
The new Martin Vintage Tone System (VTS) uses a unique recipe that is based on the historic torrefaction system. The VTS acts much like a time machine in which Martin can target certain time periods and age the top/braces to that era.
As vintageom points out, the torrefied top and non-torrefied braces are going to have difference moisture absorption and expansion rates. Similarly, it also stands to reason that the resonance will be different for the two.

As I've posted a few times previously, I've already re-topped two guitars with torrefied Sikta spruce tops and braces from Stewmac. I'm in the process of re-topping a third one with torrefield adi spruce top and braces.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:26 PM

I don't believe that Adirondack bracing makes a measurable tonal difference over Sitka. However, if someone is willing to pay an upcharge for what would otherwise be scrap, I don't blame the factories for capitalizing.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 05-13-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
With all due respect, the next H&D i play that I like will be the first. Same with Collings.

Sitka has the best weight to mass ratio as I understand (which is likely wrong) Red is the nostalgic "pretty boy" NOT THAT IS ISN'T GREAT.

But the pattern, thinning, height and nuance ----- A good builder can make something out of whatever NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT.

Wait till you hear about the next trend of.... Balsa, Doug, White, Whatever.

Just my .02

Chris
Did u really mean weight to mass ratio? I'm confused

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Did u really mean weight to mass ratio? I'm confused

Hans
That is a lot like the relationship between how long something is and it's length.

........Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion