The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Default spruce vs hog tops: opening up

How do they differ as far as both how much they can improve and how long it takes *in general*? Is there a general consensus on this? I'm familiar with spruce in this regard but not hog.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:18 AM

This topic (guitars "opening up") is discussed frequently on this forum. You will get lots of opinions here, but consider all responses to be "anecdotal observations". Remember this is the Internet, and not everything you read is factual...

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 09-14-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 AM

In my experience, mahogany tops take at least three to four times longer to start breaking in than spruce tops do. I've found that, on average, with steady, daily playing a spruce top will begin to open up after about six to eight months and continue to break in for another two or three years. They do continue to change after that, but it's more subtle and gradual from then on.

The hardwood-topped guitars I've owned have generally not started loosening up until about two years of steady playing have passed, then continue from there. Naturally, your mileage may vary, and of course different tops will react in different ways, just because of the individual characteristics of each top.

But all-mahogany guitars definitely take more break-in time than the same guitar with a spruce top would.

We will now be getting posts from those who claim that guitars DON'T break in, and that those of us who can hear those changes are simply deluding ourselves.

But I can hear the changes, and feel the information I've given you in this post is accurate.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion