The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

i was excited, because i have been waiting 2 years for the "replacement" of the d'aquistos. but a friend pointed out to me that martin uses those larger-than-industry-standard ball-ends. gotta call boak. i hope...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Humanist

I was thinking that Superman's friend, Mon-el, made these strings...?

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 02-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Monel is a very popular alloy for use in valves, piping and instrumentation in very corrosive liquids. ....
I seem to remember that the heat exchanger tubes on the auxiliary seawater system on the ships I worked on in the 70's were made of Monel to deal with seawater corrosion.

I remember using monel strings way back in the 60s. As the Martin ad states, they did not have quite the treble edge you get, particularly with 80/20 bronze strings. It's hard for me to remember a sound back almost 50 years ago... For myself, I didn't expect as much from strings or anything else in those days. Guitar strings are so much better today and are available in such huge variety, I think my old '67 D-35 sounds better today than it ever did back then. Probably that's because we tended to change strings only when we broke one.

- Glenn
Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Does anyone in here know if monel alloy , or the monel wrapping material to be used in Martin strings will have magnetic properties? I read that some monel alloys are magnetic and some aren't.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
Does anyone in here know if monel alloy , or the monel wrapping material to be used in Martin strings will have magnetic properties? I read that some monel alloys are magnetic and some aren't.
Contact Martin. For a quicker response, give them a call.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Sent Martin a note which I think I've done once. Takes a few days for a reply. I'm using PB's on my arch-top with a mag pickup right now and I'm sure these would be no worse (I love the PB's after tweaking the pole pieces), but if they were magnetic, that might be interesting to try.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Monel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papol View Post
With a high Nickel content they should be magnetic, but I'm not an electric player, so you may want to wait for a reply from Martin.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:02 AM

A little late to the discussion, but not too late. I just put a set of the Martin Tony Rice Monel's on a Martin D-18 75th Anniversary guitar, which by the way I've had for about four years and could never warm up to, and these strings turned the guitar around 180 degrees. I've now fallen in love with the guitar and the Monel's. I guess that since I've played rosewood guitars all my life I just could not get used to a mahogany sound. These strings have changed all that. I would recommend them. Got mine from Strings and Beyond, which was the only place I could find them.
1989 Taylor 710
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfriend View Post
A little late to the discussion, but not too late. I just put a set of the Martin Tony Rice Monel's on a Martin D-18 75th Anniversary guitar, which by the way I've had for about four years and could never warm up to, and these strings turned the guitar around 180 degrees. I've now fallen in love with the guitar and the Monel's. I guess that since I've played rosewood guitars all my life I just could not get used to a mahogany sound. These strings have changed all that. I would recommend them. Got mine from Strings and Beyond, which was the only place I could find them.
I've had a set on my 1976 D-18 (scalloped) for almost a month now (I asked for and rec'd an advanced set from Martin - nice people) and agree that they produce a great tone. New-string harshness is minimal and is gone within a day, and so far there has been no diminution in the string's liveliness and exuberance.

Years ago I tried a set of the D'Aquisto nickels and found them to be thuddy and uber mellow, and the bass went dead in a week (but they apparently recorded very well.) The Martin Monels are just the opposite.

But...they will not be for everyone's taste, especially those seeking a brighter sound.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
With a high Nickel content they should be magnetic, but I'm not an electric player, so you may want to wait for a reply from Martin.
Been a long time since I sent Martin the question about Monel and magnetism. They replied about 2 weeks back and said "No one here knows the answer to that question" so I suppose we can wait until someone happens to figure it out ;)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Just ordered 2 sets of Tony Rice Monels off Strings and Beyond. They are $6.99 a set there, with $5.95 shipping, or free shipping for orders over $35.00.

Jack
Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM

I've had a set on my Eastman for a few days. I think these are really interesting so far. I'll give more details with time, but a nice mellow sound - more wood, less string on what can be a bright guitar.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowens View Post
I've had a set on my Eastman for a few days. I think these are really interesting so far. I'll give more details with time, but a nice mellow sound - more wood, less string on what can be a bright guitar.
Where did you get them jd? Do you remember how much you paid for them?

Jack
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackajesusfreak View Post
Where did you get them jd? Do you remember how much you paid for them?

Jack
Strings and Beyond - $6.99.

Also, the tension is lighter than I expected given the gauge. I guess it is because of the nickel content, but they play just as easy (or easier maybe?) than the various lights (PB) I have used. I actually had to add a touch more relief with the truss rod.

Martin lists the tension at 180+ pounds like most medium sets, but I guess there is more pliability ( a word?).

The texture is a little different too. Not sure it would be to everyone's liking, but it doesn't bother me. Similar to a set of Nickel wound electric strings ( I use Ernie Ball slinkys). I'd be interested to see what fingerstyle players think versus folks who primarily use a pick like me.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM

Is the Monel in the core or the wrap? Or perhaps both.
Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion