The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Washburn Rover

I just purchased this guitar and have a question. The stap has a vinal piece on each end with a hole in it, one end has a short string.

I see how to attach the strap at the bottom of the box since it has a button, but how about the top? The strap really has a strong formaldehyde odor, I have it hanging outside.
Thanks, Ken
Old 12-10-2011, 02:15 PM

I had a Rover nylon string in the past. Surprised by how well made and set up mine was. However, the strap is dirt cheap. Mine stunk and if you look closely you will see that the end parts--fake leather--are a plastic covered cloth that is folded over and it is the GLUE they use to stick these two halves together that I found the odor coming from. Further, the glue later turned half liquid and sticky so I peeled them apart and cleaned it off totally with lighter fluid or something similar. After that, I just folded it over and the string or end pin (I forget what it had) held the folded halves together.

For many reasons, I found the Rover a real bargain and handy with a super nice little case. But some people get used to playing with a strap or find a way to hold it and play, but I just couldn't do it--so I sold it. I believe there is a forum somewhere where people with Rovers discuss them. You might search and see how others there dealt with the odor.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:30 PM

The string is to tie around the headstock. Under the strings right after the nut.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:34 PM

I've got one and I to find it a really useful little addition to the family. I travel a lot for my work and it's great to have an instrument that I can get into an overhead luggage bin on an aeroplane - keeps the chops oiled and happily whiles away those hotel-room evenings! I found that it was difficult to keep the small body* steady and in a decent playing position, so I had to resort to a strap even when seated. I've added a strap button on the heel of mine.

I heartily concur about the build quality and out-of-the-box setup.

===
* may not be the fault of the Washburn's small body, rather that of the somewhat larger body it finds itself up against.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

my rover is also well built, but after i figured out a way to play it comfortably without a strap, i threw the strap away - it did, indeed, stink.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikeflynn View Post
The string is to tie around the headstock. Under the strings right after the nut.
this is the answer.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
my rover is also well built, but after i figured out a way to play it comfortably without a strap, i threw the strap away - it did, indeed, stink.
i have a rover and i actually dig the sound, but i could never figure out how to hold it comfortably, so it just sits there in its case. what did you do?
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the replys!

My critque, keep in mind I'm a newbie:

It seems well made, nice case, stuff to adjust the neck, extra bridge and shims, strung with D'Addario XLT strings. Lesson DVD with online support.

The low end is kind of faint, my hearing is bad, so not a big deal anyways.

I would need the strap for sitting normally on an armless chair or stool because it seems neck heavy. But, it is most comfortable when I'm in my Lazyboy easy chair, kicked back. Sure can't do that with the Dread.

I think its a good deal. I paid $122 from Amazon, but a the day I got it, they dropped the price to $99. I'm always a day late/dollar short....
Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O View Post
Thanks for the replys!

My critque, keep in mind I'm a newbie:

It seems well made, nice case, stuff to adjust the neck, extra bridge and shims, strung with D'Addario XLT strings. Lesson DVD with online support.

The low end is kind of faint, my hearing is bad, so not a big deal anyways.

I would need the strap for sitting normally on an armless chair or stool because it seems neck heavy. But, it is most comfortable when I'm in my Lazyboy easy chair, kicked back. Sure can't do that with the Dread.

I think its a good deal. I paid $122 from Amazon, but a the day I got it, they dropped the price to $99. I'm always a day late/dollar short....
it is still a good deal for $122. i paid more than that, and don't regret it. amazon may have a policy to refund any difference in price within x days, if you really care.

i always chuckle at the 'solid spruce top'. i should try and figure out the actual square footage, which must be miniscule.

it is neck heavy, because the body is hardly anything.

i really liked the sound for some historic stuff. sometimes the lack of bass is a good thing.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
They must be made from leftover Esteban materials... The strong formaldehyde smell is a dead giveaway
Old 12-11-2011, 01:18 AM

Default That Washburn stench...Matched by Superb Washburn Service...

I love my little Rover -- for travel, and generally just to keep in the office in case I get a few minutes in the day for something other than work. But the smell in the case and straps was horrible. I wrote Washburn, and they immediately sent me out a new case (!) and new straps for free. They're still a tiny bit stinky, but much, much better, and the company earned my total respect for this no questions asked, fast fix policy. Amazing customer service, really, considering how little money they make on the Rover in the first place.
Cordoba C5
Yamaha CG172FS
Washburn Rover
Old 05-13-2016, 02:03 PM

Default Thinking....

I think I'll string it Nashville, or maybe with that hi-D like a uke. Then I'll capo it to the 5th and voila! a Super uke!

The measure of a guitar is in the heart of the player.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Default $89.99

Got mine used from GC for $89.99 complete. Well...almost complete. No wrench, or the other goodies but it had the guitar and the case and strap. It also had a HUGE bow in the neck, and strings that I might have used to tow a car! Other than that, flawless. No stink at all.Ten minutes with an Allen key, a little teak oil on the neck and some new strings. Added a top strap button...ka boom. Neck is "dead straight". Plays great. I might have passed but I had it shipped from back east. Glad I did. Given it's body size, I'm not sure the bass bank is really soft (it is) but the real shock is the treble bank. High notes can be heard for miles. I played Carlos's solo from Black Magic Woman and it sounds like it came with its own plate reverb, drive, and chorus! And I mean all that in a good way! A VERY good way. I do miss the bass tho... It's there, it's just UNDER the highs.

The measure of a guitar is in the heart of the player.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:26 PM

I have two Rovers, and the best thing you can do with the included strap is to dump it immediately.
Other than that, the guitar itself is good for what it is (if you figure out a way to hold it, that is)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion