The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Used 1998 414ce. Worth it?

I found this on craigslist. It's in really good shape apart from some dings by the pegs. What do you think?

http://http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/1910585905.html
Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 PM

hard to say. I know about 2 years ago a major shop offered $xxx for trade on a 2000 410CE of a co worker and it was in as good or better shape. I am sure he would have tried to sell for around 1100. If you could play it in person first and it felt good and all I would be comfy at maybe $75 less than asking price.

Last edited by wthurman; 08-28-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Explicit guitar pricing discussion
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsimpson79 View Post
I found this on craigslist. It's in really good shape apart from some dings by the pegs. What do you think?

http://http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/1910585905.html
With acoustic guitars, to me anyway, the key is to spend some time with them playing them.

The guitar might be great acoustically....and that's what you are buying....an acoustic guitar.

You need to play it first to find out.

Electronics are the frosting on the cake if the guitar sounds good to you live.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
hard to say. I know about 2 years ago a major shop offered $xxx for trade on a 2000 410CE of a co worker and it was in as good or better shape. I am sure he would have tried to sell for around 1100. If you could play it in person first and it felt good and all I would be comfy at maybe $75 less than asking price.
Thanks. I plan to drive there to play it. It's about an hour twenty minute drive. In the email I asked if they would accept $xxx so we'll see.

Last edited by wthurman; 08-28-2010 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Explicit guitar pricing discussion
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I plan to drive there to play it. It's about an hour twenty minute drive. In the email I asked if they would accept $xxx so we'll see.
$xxx is a good price with or without electronics.

Best of luck. Let us know what happens.

If this guitar speaks to you...it's worth buying.

Last edited by wthurman; 08-28-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Explicit guitar pricing discussion
Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 PM

The asking price probably fine. If they are like me, they won't entertain any "offers" until you are there and played the instrument - otherwise it's moot. Go play it and it will be worth that amount to you or not. If it is try to get it as cheap as possible. If not, drive home. But remember that you have already now made an offer.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM

With those cosmetic issues I would probably avoid it, especially with it being 12 years old. I recently bought a 2005 414ce for about $125 less. I'd keep shopping if I were you. Unless, of course, playing before buying is a necessity.

Edit: With that said, somewhere slightly below the asking price is probably accurate "private party" value for a guitar with those cosmetics. I just happened to get a great deal on a no-issues one. You probably won't find one that cheap unless you get really lucky.

Last edited by stream; 08-28-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
With those cosmetic issues I would probably avoid it, especially with it being 12 years old. I recently bought a 2005 414ce for about $125 less. I'd keep shopping if I were you. Unless, of course, playing before buying is a necessity.
Where did you find this deal? Where do you guys recommend looking or shopping besides places like Guitar Center?

Last edited by joshsimpson79; 08-28-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Where did you find this deal? Where do you guys recommend looking or shopping besides places like Guitar Center?
Found that one on Craigslist, I believe. Be very, very careful with any deals on there. That's where you'll find the best deals, but also the most risk.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Cosmetics, Coschmetics. If it sounds and plays great, the cosmetics can be fixed at your convenience (and your cost). I sent a 1999 514CE to Pat DiBurro for a neck and body refinish, and it was very close to like new (he has the same UV finish that Taylor uses as he offers warranty service). By close, I mean that without the aging/darkening of the cedar top you never would know.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post

Edit: With that said, somewhere slightly below the asking price is probably accurate "private party" value for a guitar with those cosmetics. I just happened to get a great deal on a no-issues one. You probably won't find one that cheap unless you get really lucky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthurman View Post
Cosmetics, Coschmetics. If it sounds and plays great, the cosmetics can be fixed at your convenience (and your cost). I sent a 1999 514CE to Pat DiBurro for a neck and body refinish, and it was very close to like new (he has the same UV finish that Taylor uses as he offers warranty service). By close, I mean that without the aging/darkening of the cedar top you never would know.
I'm not too worried about cosmetics as I can fix it later. I'm a music minister, so it's in my budget at this time, it's likely an upgrade from what I play now, so I'll at least give it a play if they return my email.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:30 PM

I don't think the cosmetics are even really a cosmetic issue. for a 12 year old guitar, it looks to be in excellent shape. those few tiny dings on the headstock are nothing. The price strikes me as being a very good one, if you're happy with the electronics. If not, it still may be a reasonable price... swapping to the new Taylor electronics costs about 300 plus shipping I think
that's me on guitar
Old 08-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I don't think the cosmetics are even really a cosmetic issue. for a 12 year old guitar, it looks to be in excellent shape. those few tiny dings on the headstock are nothing. The price strikes me as being a very good one, if you're happy with the electronics. If not, it still may be a reasonable price... swapping to the new Taylor electronics costs about 300 plus shipping I think
What's the difference in the newer electronics? Sonically, I mean. I understand the physical differences.

Last edited by joshsimpson79; 08-30-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM

I thought the used older 414 I played at GC sounded better than the new ones. The price is just ok. A hundred less is more in line.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM

What's that business going on to the right of the 19th and 20th frets? Is that just a reflection? Earlier I was assuming that was some kind of finish issue. If not, then the price is probably pretty good, although that's where it "should" be for a 1998 model.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion