The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Here's my 1964 J50, right before the bridge removal.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Yeah, I'm really loving this J-50. With a standard bridge and bone saddle (and some good looking bone pins from Mr. Colosi) this is going to be a way cool guitar.
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Frank Ford has an article with pictures detailing a conversion job he did. His comments about bridge weight make a lot of sense to me.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luth.../hbirdbr1.html
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM

I have a 1964 Epiphone Texan (basically a J-50 with a sunburst top and Epiphone on the headstock) that had the adjustable ceramic saddle on a rosewood reverse belly bridge.
A local guitar repairman found me a bone saddle fitted with ebony shims that fits snugly down in the original slot. The conversion did change the tone of the guitar significantly. It became smoother and more rounded and gained a little volume, but lost that familiar growl that some of these 60's Gibsons have. Overall it's better to my ears. I've just been wondering what replacing the entire bridge and saddle might do for the sound. I'm tempted to try it, but i dunno.

2004 Martin D-18 GE
Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrebel View Post
Yeah, I'm really loving this J-50. With a standard bridge and bone saddle (and some good looking bone pins from Mr. Colosi) this is going to be a way cool guitar.
First of all, Rockin' Rebel, if your local luthier is Randy Wood, you're a lucky guy. That also means that you're in the Savannah, Georgia metropolitan area, which is also a very cool place ever since they shut the pulp mills down. (My mother was born in Savannah, and her mother before her. I remember the way those pulp mills used to stink!)

Anyway, I'll just add my voice to the chorus: replacing the existing plastic/ceramic adjustable bridge and saddle for bone and rosewood is the smartest thing you can do if you want the guitar to sound its best.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
First of all, Rockin' Rebel, if your local luthier is Randy Wood, you're a lucky guy. That also means that you're in the Savannah, Georgia metropolitan area, which is also a very cool place ever since they shut the pulp mills down. (My mother was born in Savannah, and her mother before her. I remember the way those pulp mills used to stink!)

Anyway, I'll just add my voice to the chorus: replacing the existing plastic/ceramic adjustable bridge and saddle for bone and rosewood is the smartest thing you can do if you want the guitar to sound its best.

Wade Hampton Miller
Hey Mr. Miller,
Yep, Randy's shop is 10 minutes down the road from where I work.
Randy said it would be a definite improvement in tone and volume.
Yes, Union Camp use to stink up the town.
If you haven't visited in awhile come on down. The Savannah College of Art and Design has really revitalized the downtown.
I live south of Savannah in Richmond Hill.
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion