The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Tell me your experiences w/ the Collings 02H

I'm thinking about springing for one of these. No local dealers to try one out. I would use a dealer that has a good return policy, BUT I'd rather not have to return a guitar in the first place. I keep reading how consistent the Collings guitars are so I'm not worried about getting a lemon.

Obviously it is a finger style guitar but I hear it holds up well to light strumming. So I would just like to hear what owners of this model have to say about why they like or dislike about the guitar. Also have they compared it to any major builders 00 size or similar guitars.

Thanks for any replies!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I owned a 02HG for years and it was my favorite Rosewood guitar that I've ever played. If I hadn't fallen head over heels for Mahogany, I'd still own it.

It will play like a much bigger guitar than you might expect and it will definitely hold up to moderate strumming. It's obviously not going to be flatpicking, bluegrass monster, but it's a fingerstyle dream. Since I play mostly fingerstyle, I never tried to find out just how hard I could strum it.

It has a very rich sound, plentiful overtones. I think of it as a small OM with very nicely-balanced tone, if it's the 14-fret. The 12-fret has an elongated body and therefore, a slightly different sound. And the 0s have that typical Collings clarity and note separation.

I think the Collings 0s are the best secret they have. Great little guitars. I should know... I've happily owned three of them!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:52 PM

I have an 02HG. Mine sounds and plays like a little Collings OM, a little less power in the low end and a little more comfortable on the couch. I wouldn't want it as my only guitar unless i was living in an Airstream.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default 02h

Having had one or several years, I can confidently say that it is "THE" couch guitar!
Similar to comments from others, it plays much louder than its size.
Superior finger style guitar.
Not one to be played with 'big noise' type groups as it does not have the horse power to meet those needs.
Collings has done a great job with this size!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Much the same opinion as above. Indeed like a well balanced, but small OM, but does not give up much in volume. I am a fingerstylist so only strum about 5% of the time but it can handle mild to moderate without a problem. I play a variety of stuff--rock, classical, blues, jazz, celtic--and everything lies pretty well on the 02. Recently I have experimented with DADGAD and it works well for that. My other guitars are a custom Martin 00, Martin 0 and Huss & Dalton 00. I play them all for various things. You won't go wrong with the 02

Jon
Old 05-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Collings works magic with their 0 sized guitars. I have two and every time I pick them up to play, I am reminded of all the magic squeezed into such a small body.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Note to all: Thanks so much. Kinda confirms my thoughts. It would be the most expensive acoustic I have ever owned if I follow though. Any strong contenders for maybe less $$$?

Last edited by tubetone74; 05-11-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I owned a very nice O2H for a while. Liked it a lot. One of the better small body instruments I had owned, until.............

check into the Alvarez/Yairi PYM70. This is the solid wood, Yairi Japan shop made parlor. 12 fret. If memory serves, slightly over 24" scale. 1 3/4" nut width, 2 1/4" string spacing at the saddle.

The PYM70 I owned had an extremely well balanced tone. Plenty of bass and an overall more lyrical voice than the 02H I had.

I've only saw one PYM70 used(the one I purchased), but I have saw them new at zzzounds for $1999. Couple other shops as well. You could probably deal with them also.

Extremely well built, as nice as any Collings/Martin/Taylor that I've owned. Nonboxy, very projective voice for such a small instrument-Fit me better due to the body shape than the 02H also.

keep us posted
d

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=456747
Old 05-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Daryl. Anyone have experience with the Martin 0 model?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetone74 View Post
Anyone have experience with the Martin 0 model?
I owned a vintage Martin 0. It was a fun little guitar to play, but didn't compare to the Collings in almost any comparison... playability, volume, clarity, richness, bass response. For me, the Collings is superior in every regard. I've played only a couple Martin 0s and owned only one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion