The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2016, 08:30 AM

Default Removing the hand rest from a resonator

A recurring theme. I've just done it on the Gretsch Honey Dipper I got just over a week ago. It feels so much better. My right hand was feeling restricted as I couldn't play at the point I felt I should, while damping.

I asked if I should remove the hand rest on the Michael Messer forum, the replies got quite hostile - an emphatic, you'll ruin the cone. I'll see how it goes, but it sounds much better with it off.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:24 AM

You should be very careful...you might turn that honey dripper into a honey dipper.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I've adjusted to mine (Republic Tricone). I don't know if I would have done that, but its your reso.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM

Jansch, I removed the hand rest from my National guitar and have never had a problem. Back in the 1980's I had a OMI-made Hula Blues model Dobro that I had my guitar repairman cut the integral hand rest off. And the modern National RM-1 that I own (and helped design) has a modified hand rest that allows me to put my palm on the strings to mute them.

I palm-mute a lot, on all the stringed instruments I play, so it's necessary for me to be able to get my palm on the bridge saddle.

I've never collapsed a cone because of it. You do need to remain alert, but it's not a real problem so long as you're always aware of that vulnerability there.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM

I took it off mine. All you have to do is be careful not to bump the bridge into things. And I would rather replace a cone than give up the hand position I like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion