The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Default Question about necks

Hey there,

I am really bad with measurements and numbers, so I will need your help.

I have a Gibson Hummingbird and I love the size of the neck.

I bought a Martin 00028 EC and loved the way it sounds but the neck is too big for me (it feels like a classical guitar neck) I am planning to buy a Martin M36 but I couldn't find one at my local GC.

Does anyone know if the neck feels close to the hummingbird neck in terms of size?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 AM

For the best service, best prices, best answers to all of your questions, call one of our sponsors. Ted @ LA Guitar Sales, Maury @ Maury's Music or Jon @ My Favorite Guitars are good starts.

........Mike

Last edited by 00-28; 05-13-2016 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguevara80 View Post
Hey there,

I bought a Martin 00028 EC and loved the way it sounds but the neck is too big for me (it feels like a classical guitar neck) I am planning to buy a Martin M36 but I couldn't find one at my local GC.

Does anyone know if the neck feels close to the hummingbird neck in terms of size?

Thanks!
The Eric Clapton model has a Mod-V neck with a 1-3/4 nut width which is quite chunky for some players. The M-36 is a low profile neck shape with a 1-11/16 nut which will definitely feel more in line with the Hummingbird vs. the 000-28EC.

However, feel is all relative. What is comfortable for one may not be comfortable for you. If you can, try to test-drive the guitar before buying or if you are buying online, make sure there's a proper return-policy so you're not stuck with an instrument you don't like.

Best of luck.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHguitarNYC View Post
The Eric Clapton model has a Mod-V neck with a 1-3/4 nut width which is quite chunky for some players. The M-36 is a low profile neck shape with a 1-11/16 nut which will definitely feel more in line with the Hummingbird vs. the 000-28EC.

However, feel is all relative. What is comfortable for one may not be comfortable for you. If you can, try to test-drive the guitar before buying or if you are buying online, make sure there's a proper return-policy so you're not stuck with an instrument you don't like.

Best of luck.
Thank you!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:29 AM

This has got to do with neck profile and to some extent fretboard radius. Information on the fretboard radius should be found on the various manufacturer's websites. As for neck profile, that's a different story. Since it introduced the adjustable truss rod in the 1920s, Gibson has been known for its slim neck profiles, which makes it easier for the player to get his hand and fingers around the neck. It's very comfortable (as least to most players). Since Gibson patented the adjustable truss rod, Martin continued to use the non-adjustable variety of truss rod and their necks were chunkier as a result. Some people actually prefer the feel of these necks. Since Chris Martin took over as head of the company in the 1990s, Martin has adopted the adjustable truss rod too, and now makes a variety of models with a variety of neck profiles, from slim to chunky, so it really depends on which model of Martin you're talking about.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:53 AM

Gibsons are a little wider than Martin at the nut but about the same thickness. The more narrow Martin creates a different feel even though they are about the same thickness. I play a 1 13/16 nut and find the EC too narrow. So in some ways what you are used to determines the feel. Also I find the V neck on the EC too pointy.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguevara80 View Post
Hey there,

Thanks!
The v-neck on the Clapton is among the pointiest of all the mod-v necks Martin offers. The M-36 uses the Low Profile neck, nut width, and string spacing as found on the D-28, HD-28, and D-35 dreads to name a few. Those are readily available everywhere so if you can get a feel for those necks, then you will know how the M-36 neck feels.

Personally I find the Hummingbird "Rounded" neck to be slightly thicker top to bottom than the Martin Low Profile. In addition, the Low Profile neck gets fairly thin top to bottom above the 6-7th fret, whereas the Hummingbird maintains the rounded thickness most of the way up.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion