The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM

Default HD Lights and GS Mini

Hi all,

I happily string my GS Mini with Elixir PB Lights and I'm happy with tone etc. I prefer light strings for ease of playing due to my light touch and strength (I don't have a grip like a clamp!). I'm wanting to hear from anyone who usually also strings with Elixir Lights, but has also tried HD Lights on their GS Mini. I'm just curious if you think it gives a greater balance of tone (not that I think there's anything wrong with the tone with Lights). Is it any harder to play - thinking of pressure needed to press down strings or vibrato etc.

Of course, I could just give it a go, but if I dislike it then here in the UK it's £16 wasted, which is a fair sum, which is why it's helpful to gather a few opinions first. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:26 AM

I used them once on my GS Mini as I took them off another new GA Taylor I bought.....not to much difference IMO from lights.

I've recently put a set of Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Med-Lights on my hog topped GS mini....I like them as they toned down some of the brightness of the GS Mini IMO adds a touch more bass. At first they were as all strings pretty jangly, but settled in nicely!

That being said the GS Mini I feel will always be on the bright side due to it's size.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:25 AM

You know, trying HD Lights on a GS Mini is a great idea. I personally don't like the way the HD Lights feel on Taylor's Grand Concerts, but the Mini is built for mediums, so you might get the benefit of lights with some of the advantages of mediums.

If anyone has tried this, please give your impressions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion