The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Default Taylor T5

I am looking for opinions and examples of Taylor T5.

Has anyone used them with nickel strings? How does it feel compared to archtop or electric?

thanks for your help
Old 02-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

I've had a T-5 since they came out... mine's a maple-topped red edgeburst Standard ( I just didn't see any bonus for the Custom version). I really love that guitar; the preamp controls are very different from any standard electric guitar tone pots, as these are "active"; took me a long time to figure out that a little adjustment goes a long way towards the output.

I use mine primarily as an electric guitar, and I can get a multitude of great tones through it; Tele (bridge and neck pickups), Gretsch rhythm tones, Gibson rhythm tones as well as a fat bridge pickup tone...

At 4#s, it is so light and comfortable to have on my shoulders! I am always amazed when I pick up my Gibson ES-345 and feel the difference in weight...

I have had such good luck with the Elixir strings that came on it, that I have stuck by them; the first set from the factory? Lasted me SEVEN YEARS!!!! And, although I don't play the T-5 as much as my acoustics, SEVEN years? Amazing, especially considering that I am a bit of a snob when it comes to the way my guitars sound and feel. Believe me, if those strings felt weird or would no longer intonate properly, I would have changed them.

The truth is, I only changed them due to a guilty conscience! The "professional" guitarist part of me kept saying, "Come on! You HAVE to change those strings!"

I'm sure that nickel would sound fine; I have also heard that you can use standard acoustic guitar strings on it, as well, although I don't know how the electronics would "pick up" those strings as well as nickel or stainless steel...

The Elixir set I use is the 11's set... with an unwound third string. The T-5 is bit shorter in scale than even my Gibsons, so bear that in mind when choosing strings; even 11's feel a bit "loose" to me on that guitar.

(By the way, if you use the "search" function at the BOTTOM of the page, you will find a TON of discussion about the T-5, both pro and con...)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-11-2015, 07:24 PM

Mine has only been strung with Elixir 11's. Mine feels a lot more like my electrics than my archtop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion