The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Default Buzzing & Humidity

I realize that what I'm about to ask is redundant, so please forgive me, in advance. After a remarkably cold winter, in a little pocket of the Midwest, with comparatively little precipitation, my HD-28 has fallen victim.

A little less than a month ago, I returned to my home state of IA, from a trip to CO, to find the temp at approximately -15F, and no water to my rural abode. I have a humidifier, and have worked to keep it running, but without water, there have been lapses.

A week or two ago, I noticed that the guitar started to buzz, and I've since doubled-down on my efforts to keep the humidifier running. In spite of that, the buzzing continues, and I've noticed frets protruding, where once there was just a smooth transition.

I guess my question is, can I humidify my way back to how this felt, when I brought it home, or is more serious intervention required?

Thanks, in advance.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Don't guess. Buy an inexpensive hygrometer so that you know what relative humidity you actually have.

If the problems are humidity related, as it sounds like they are, the solution is to humidify to address them prior to permanent damage occurring. Keep the guitar's environment in or around 45% and your problems are solved.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 PM

It is best to leave it in it's case w/ some source of humidity...(lots of people here use a damp sponge on a perforated baggie...or two...one in the head stock area and the other in the body area). Leave it alone and check the sponges every few days.

It takes a while for a guitar to dry out and it will take at least a couple weeks for it to rehumidify. You might also want to get a hygrometer to put in the case to monitor the humidity level after the guitar has rehumidified.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 PM

Yes...you can rehumidify it back to how it was.

Put it in a case...with some kind of case humidifer (there are lots of options). Within a few days it will turn around...in a week it will be back to "normal".

You better do something soon. Before you get a crack in the top or the back. Your guitar is talking to you...actually shouting at you...that it needs water. You better listen.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Thanks... I'll pull the trigger on a hygrometer asap. I hadn't bothered with any type of in-case humidification previously, since I have 6-8 guitars in that fairly small room, at any given time. None of which, are showing any similar problems.

I really do try to pamper the HD-28, and prior to going without water, keeping the humidifier fed, was my first order of business, prior to leaving for work, and upon my return.

It still sounds pretty, obviously, but I do like to play above the 5th fret and that's when it starts to sound like the victim of neglect & too much winter.

I'll bring back the moisture, and hope for the best.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 PM

My house gets very dry in the winter and I play everyday and storing my guitar (Taylor 414 Ltd) is difficult due to space issues. I was concerned that my guitar was getting a little dried out so I took it to my luthier. He said it was fine but if I wanted to be extra sure he suggested I take a kitchen size plastic garbage bag, place a wet sponge at the bottom and tie it up around the body of my guitar.

Works like a charm.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:02 PM

Thanks Geedub. I don't mean to be overly dramatic about all this, and surely if historic Martins survived, after being spawned in the days prior to meaningful climate-control, mine will too, but I sure don't want my next post to be a request for advise, regarding a cracked top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion