The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Default Boucher acoustic and humidity

I have a 2011 Boucher 000 (Rosewood) that I purchased new in March 2013.
I've been keeping it in it's case with Planet Waves Humidity packs.

I live in Quebec and Humidity drops to 20% from November to April. It's brutal!

During the Winter, the humidity packs get dry in 2 weeks. I was wondering if I'm hurting my guitar since they get dry so quickly.
Last week I added a planet waves sponge to help a bit. http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-A..._bxgy_MI_img_y

Is it really necessary? I won't be able to get a guitar that nice for the next 10 years and I'm paranoid about it's health.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Hi WoodBlues. Just a recommendation, when you take your guitar out of the case, make sure that you keep your humidifier in your case and keep the case closed. It will help prevent your humidifier solution from drying out too quickly.

Many people, including myself, use a wet sponge in a perforated ziplock bag. Works great.

Keep your guitar humidified during those dry months.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:44 PM

There are two things you can do.

One is to throw an RH meter in the case and monitor it.

Two is to very closely monitor your guitar and watch for any "movement" in the neck, neck joint, bridge, etc. If your guitar goes out of tune (and your tuners aren't the problem), your neck actually moved and it's a sign of RH change.

In my experience, Humidipaks aren't enough for dry and cold winters such as in Quebec. Besides, you lose any added humidity the minute you open the case.

I have a house humidifier so I can safely enjoy my guitars year round. My guitars have been problem free for many years now.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 AM

It's true that when the Humidipaks are starting to get dry, the tuning tends to be unstable. I think that I'll get a room humidifier and store the guitar in the laundry room. (I live in an apartment, every other possible rooms are open, so I'd be too hard to manage).
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Humidity

Bonjour Woodblues.

Congrats on buying a nice Boucher.

I live in Quebec City and need to use a room humidifyer and a dampit in my guitar all winter.

daniel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion