The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM

Default NGD (for me) ...used 510!

I've finally gotten my chance to drink that Taylor Kool-Aid! Ebay was kind to me, and I got an '89 510 for a very fair price from an AGF'er (didn't know he was a member here until after the auction).

Sure, the guitar has 20-some years of mojo (lots of dings, a cracked/well repaired neckheel, a bout crack and ding, and a couple low humidity cracks up by the fingerboard), but she has a rich, balanced tone nonetheless. The top is a beautiful dark top and rivals my constantly outdoor OM21 for pretty deep tan.

I guess I should post pictures, but I'd hate to have you folks talk any smack about this fine-toned guitar! A new set of strings after the trip, a little cleaning all around, and she was ready for action.

My first time with an undersaddle pickup (an LR Baggs LB6), and I may go ahead and change it out for another saddle I can adjust. But I'll admit that it sounded very nice in the amp. Maybe this can be the cowboy chord guitar for me.

The action was 8/64" at the 12th fret, but still with room at the saddle (I checked FRETS.com recommendations...since I'm not used to the Taylor bridge design as yet.) The low E is just under 1/2" above the soundboard, which seems to be their recommendation.

But I can now see why you all love those Taylor necks so much. I love my Martins, don't get me wrong. The Taylor is a lot of fun to play, and I'll bet when I get the action where I like it, she'll be even better.

Off to McCabe's with her for a check up in the next day or two.

Should be a ton of fun this year.

Richard in Neenach, California

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion