The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Don't you wish....

You could identify the strings on a used guitar just by looking at them? When you buy a new guitar, the company will list the string brand and gauges. But when you really like the strings on a used guitar, it's a different story.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 PM

There are a couple sets this is possible for - sort of. D'Addario used the color coordinated ball ends that at least gives away the brand; the same is true of Cleartone. Martin Marquis use a red silk wrap in the ends, which is unmistakable. The new Martin Titanium use bullet ends, which are also unmistakable. Finally, Ernie Ball Paradigm strings have the ball ends wrapped like Martin Marquis, but with metal instead. Gauges are pretty easy to identify. I guess the hardest part is if they are 80/20 or phosphor bronze.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Doesn't help with the brand but you can measure the gauge with a set of digital calipers.

I always keep the packaging when I change strings and write the date of string change on the box or paper liner and put it in the case.
If I sell a guitar the new owner will know what strings are on the guitar.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:40 PM

If I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a used guitar I will pull the exp's off of one of my guitars and restring the guitar with them. If the person or place selling the guitar has a problem with this then I tell them they have a problem with money and take my business elsewhere, nicely of course. That way there is no guessing and I know how the guitar will sound with the broken in strings that it will have on it if it were sitting in my living room.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:48 PM

Default Wish

But trying different strings and pins is part of the fun of dialing in a new guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion